Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water shoots out of return like a geyser

1. Back To Top    #1

Rocky Mount, NC

Water shoots out of return like a geyser

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have been researching on how to hook up a sand filter to an Intex above ground pool. The pool my family owns is small, about 15'-16'. We recently bought a Hayward sand filter, 16" filter tank with a 1.5 hp pump. Originally, amazon said it was a 1 hp pump but on the pump it's labelled 1.5. I'm afraid it might be too powerful? When I hooked it up to the pool, first I tried with the hoses that were supplied with the pool originally, water was shooting out like a geyser out of the return. Is there any way I can reduce the water pressure? would hard plumbing it with valves to control water flow into the pump work? Any advice would be helpful!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water shoots out of return like a geyser

Welcome to TFP Sabrina

It could, but the pump still might push things through your sand filter and that is the real problem here. You simply may have too much pump.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum SabrinaRinaBoBina

Can you please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here (best you can):

Can you also post the part and or model numbers off the filter, pump and motor so we can look them up ??

Any chance you have photos of how it's set up ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

You don't want a valve to cut down water flow into a pump, it needs to be on the output side to reduce outflow. Restricting flow into a pump can cause pump damage.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

As a licensed plumber I would say way to much probably only need a 1/2 hp and at max 3/4 hp
    IG gunite/plaster 9,200 gals-with 7x7x1-1/2 splash pad with bubblers.
    3/4 hp hayward super pump for bubbler and water fall-1 hp hayward super pump for filtration
    24" hayward sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Benton, KY

Yep. Too much pump. I have a 1.5 hp pump on a 34K gallon inground pool. Can you return the pump? I know Amazon has always been good to me about returns. You could put a valve on the outlet of the pump before the filter to slow the flow, but my biggest concern would be the extra electricity you are burning with an oversized pump. Of course, you shouldn't have to run it too long each day, so the actual $ amount is probably negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    33K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100XL