LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
At least there was no ice on the water, like when I opened last year..lol. Start up shock with stabilizer, then baking soda, then Mule Team Borax, then liquid chlorine. 12 hrs of filtering, a bit of vacuuming and it's crysal clear (except metal staining on fiberglas stairs (vit C treatment coming up). Location is Burlington, ON, Canada. Pump comes on automatically at 36 f, so I'm not worried about the odd below freezing overnight temps the next few days.

Pic 1 - opening day (April 2)

Pic 2 - today (April 4) - gotta love it when it's snowing into the pool.

Pic 3 - cold, but clear.

open.jpg

snow.jpg

pool2.jpg

Yes...lol. I have a K2006 (TFT is not allowed to ship to Canada). Too cold for salt and CYA (42 f), but after adding chems - Chlorine is 7, combined is .2, pH 7.6, alkalinity 80. Pool store (which uses a LaMotte Waterlink Spin tester) got 7.54 chlorine, .26 combined, pH 7.8, alk - 90, CYA 35, calcium 137, borate 21, iron and copper 0.1.

The start up shock was just to get some CYA in the pool before adding the liquid chlorine. Too cold to run chlorine generator as well.

I've opened my pool enough times to know that CYA is usually 0, pH and Alkalinity are low, and chlorine is 0. I have a mesh safety cover so snow melt and rain make up some of my water at opening.

Good for you! I'll be pulling my cover off tomorrow!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.