Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: She's open..

1. Back To Top    #1

She's open..

At least there was no ice on the water, like when I opened last year..lol. Start up shock with stabilizer, then baking soda, then Mule Team Borax, then liquid chlorine. 12 hrs of filtering, a bit of vacuuming and it's crysal clear (except metal staining on fiberglas stairs (vit C treatment coming up). Location is Burlington, ON, Canada. Pump comes on automatically at 36 f, so I'm not worried about the odd below freezing overnight temps the next few days.

Pic 1 - opening day (April 2)

Pic 2 - today (April 4) - gotta love it when it's snowing into the pool.

Pic 3 - cold, but clear.

open.jpg

snow.jpg

pool2.jpg
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: She's open..

I hope you actually did a full set of test before adding all those chemicals ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes...lol. I have a K2006 (TFT is not allowed to ship to Canada). Too cold for salt and CYA (42 f), but after adding chems - Chlorine is 7, combined is .2, pH 7.6, alkalinity 80. Pool store (which uses a LaMotte Waterlink Spin tester) got 7.54 chlorine, .26 combined, pH 7.8, alk - 90, CYA 35, calcium 137, borate 21, iron and copper 0.1.

The start up shock was just to get some CYA in the pool before adding the liquid chlorine. Too cold to run chlorine generator as well.

I've opened my pool enough times to know that CYA is usually 0, pH and Alkalinity are low, and chlorine is 0. I have a mesh safety cover so snow melt and rain make up some of my water at opening.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking good! Boo for snow in April!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Good for you! I'll be pulling my cover off tomorrow!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter