Currently have a cya level of 200

That CYA test is still not valid since you can not read 150ppm. You might need to dilute more.

Will be interesting to see what this reducer stuff does ... so far no one has shown test results indicating that the CYA level dropped. Although one was showing higher than normal CC levels which could indicate the transformation of the CYA to ammonia.

Oh Lordy. So jealous about water price. We are on high iron well water so we have re-fill trucked in. About $1,000 for my pool. I pray for rain for top-offs!

Btw, Our trucked-in water still has significant iron so we have done Ben's cal-hypo iron removal method. Works a treat for us.

You can remove iron from well water by treating it with hydrogen peroxide before adding chlorine. It isn't really "removed" but oxidized to an insoluble form of iron where it will precipitate out of solution, allowing it to be filtered out. The amount of peroxide required depends on how much water you're treating and how much iron is in it, but to give an example (if my math is right) one quart of 3% w/v hydrogen peroxide could treat about 300 gallons of water with 300 mg/L of iron (as ferrous oxide). A neat side effect of this reaction is that many organic compounds in the water will also be torn apart and converted to carbon dioxide and water in the process.

What's the benefit of using hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine? Chlorine oxidize ferrous iron ions to ferric ions that are far less soluble and for ferric oxides. Also, hypochlorite sources of chlorine tend to raise the pH which also increases the chance of forming such insoluble iron oxides. The problem is that whenever one oxidizes ferrous iron to form ferric oxides one can stain plaster surfaces because one doesn't control where such precipitation will occur. Ben's method tried to force that precipitation to occur before the filter which is why the Cal-Hypo is added into the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.