Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction side leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction side leak

Just started up my pool. When I pull water from the main drain and skimmers, little if any air gets into the pump. If I start the pressure cleaner or turn of 1 or both skimmers on, the pump pulls a lot of air. I tried replacing the pump basket O-ring as well as the pump drain O-rings. This did not help. Pool is about 7 years old. Any suggestions for a diagnostic plan?
    30,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan plaster pool/spa. 2hp Pentair WhisperFlo pump with chlorine sanitization and propane heater. Jandy never lube valves and Zodiac iAquaLink wireless controls.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction side leak

Hi, did you make any progress on this issue?

Here is a link in Pool School discussing this issue that might help.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...side-air-leaks
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Some progress. Rebuilt all valves, replaced all drain plugs and replaced pump main seal. Leak appears to be in the drain line. If I reduce the flow from the main drain, I can get the pressure cleaner to work without sucking air. Diver is coming next week to pressure test the drain line. No wet spots anywhere I can see and the pool is still losing about 1/4 inch of water overnight with pump off but no loss with pump on.
    30,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan plaster pool/spa. 2hp Pentair WhisperFlo pump with chlorine sanitization and propane heater. Jandy never lube valves and Zodiac iAquaLink wireless controls.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

A suction side air leak can be underground but almost NEVER is. Before I hired a diver I would re-inspect all connections of main drain line that are above ground.....starting by checking the impeller and working out until it goes underground.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice. The part that makes me think the leak is underground is that the pool only leaks when the pump is off. The rate is about 1/4 inch per day and there are no visible wet spots above ground. Pool leaked down to about 13 inches below the first tile over the winter. I added about 6 inches of water and it still went down to the 13 inch mark before the pool was opened and the cover removed. What do you think?

6. Back To Top    #6

Found the leak. It was the underground 90 degree elbow going up from the main drain line to the 3-way valve. It appeared to be a stress crack in the elbow. Now to get it fixed.......