Letting water level fall

Winemaker

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Feb 16, 2014
Palo Alto, CA
I live in California and want to keep using my pool while minimizing water usage.
In the winter, I uncover the pool and let the water level fall due to evaporation. When we are lucky enough to be getting some rain, I drain the pool a few inches. The water level is below the skimmer which must be turned off. My skimmer isn't much use anyways due to poor design as I have been told and in the swimming season the pool is covered when not in use making the skimmer irrelevant.

What problems could occur if I let the water level fall all summer? I will probably have to keep it above the inlet ports as it looses siphon when dropping below them. (I might experiment with tubes from the ports into the water to solve the siphon issue). Could I experience damage to plaster which is exposed to the summer sun? Are there other problems that could occur. The pool is actually deeper than I want and lowering the level would have other advantages besides saving water.

Thanks to all who take time to answer.

A few inches isn't really a problem at all, aside from shutting of the skimmer as already mentioned. Several feet gets to be a much more significant problem.

Sun damage to the plaster is remotely possible, but quite unlikely in your climate. You normally only need to keep the plaster wet in desert climates.

Lower water levels make the pool slightly more dangerous, as accidentally falling into the pool now falls further and hits the water harder. Eventually the shallow end gets too shallow to catch you after you fall and the danger ramps up significantly.

There is also a limit to how high the pump can draw up water from the pool when establishing prime. Most pools have a couple of feet before this becomes an issue, but if your equipment pad is quite a bit higher than typical it could happen fairly soon.

Thank you, JasonLion. I had not thought of the safety issue and very much appreciate you pointing it out. I now know how far to let it drop.

If we don't have rain next winter we may all be filling in our pools and planting drought tolerant gardens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.