Loud pump - replacement?

Apr 1, 2015
Honolulu, HI
My single speed pump is two years old. The label says it's a Pentair 7-168452-04. This week it started making this noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahIfmNNsdQU

Is there some way to minimize the noise for a few days while I shop for a replacement? I'm tempted to throw a styrofoam cooler over it.

I've been wanting to get a more energy efficient pump anyway. The electricity rates here in Hawaii are the highest in the nation and our electric bill has doubled since we put in the pool. The heater rarely runs so I blame the pump.

Should I be looking at variable speed pumps? The state offers a $150 rebate on those. It's a 12,500 gallon pool with a SWG. What size pump do we need?

My wife would like to stick with the Pentair brand. Any suggestions for a specific model?

Thank you.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Do you have any high flow water needs?
One of the smaller VS pumps might be a good choice for you.

Wah, that is loud!
The bearings are going bad.

With your electric rates a Variable Speed Pump might just fit the bill. One thing for sure though, is they are extremely quiet.
The size you needs depends on several thigns, Most specifiaclly, your pool size and do you have any waterfalls, fountains, scuppers or other water features? If so, tell us what you have and we can recommend what size pump will work best for you.

Pentair makes several verisons of teh VS pump ranging from 1.5 HP to 3. Maybe they have a 1 HP VS, but not sure off the top of my head.
if you google Pentair Variable Speed PUmps, you can find all the info on them and what features each have....

My single speed pump is two years old. The label says it's a Pentair 7-168452-04. This week it started making this noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahIfmNNsdQU

Is there some way to minimize the noise for a few days while I shop for a replacement? I'm tempted to throw a styrofoam cooler over it.

I've been wanting to get a more energy efficient pump anyway. The electricity rates here in Hawaii are the highest in the nation and our electric bill has doubled since we put in the pool. The heater rarely runs so I blame the pump.

Should I be looking at variable speed pumps? The state offers a $150 rebate on those. It's a 12,500 gallon pool with a SWG. What size pump do we need?

My wife would like to stick with the Pentair brand. Any suggestions for a specific model?

Thank you.

With your electric rates a Variable Speed Pump might just fit the bill. One thing for sure though, is they are extremely quiet.
The size you needs depends on several thigns, Most specifiaclly, your pool size and do you have any waterfalls, fountains, scuppers or other water features? If so, tell us what you have and we can recommend what size pump will work best for you.

Pentair makes several verisons of teh VS pump ranging from 1.5 HP to 3. Maybe they have a 1 HP VS, but not sure off the top of my head.
if you google Pentair Variable Speed PUmps, you can find all the info on them and what features each have....

Thanks. We ended up getting a Pentair IntelliFlo VS (model #011018) because it was in stock locally. It was professionally installed so that we qualify for the extended warranty and $150 state rebate. Good thing I didn't try to do it myself! The old pump was only 120V so they had to upgrade the breaker and wiring.

Our pool is pretty basic: 12,500 gallons in ground with no extra water features. The installer set it up to run 24 hours a day. Is that really advisable? He repurposed our old pump timer to turn the SWG on for only 11 hours a day.

No need to run 24 hours a day unless you have lots of trees dropping stuff in your pool all the time like we do. We run at 1100rpm mostly 24x7 to keep stuff skimmed off the surface instead of on the bottom. 1100rpm gives us good skimming action and only draws 150 watts, so it doesn't cost much.

If you don't have lots of debris you can probably run 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours at night. On 1100 rpm or around there.

"I'm tempted to throw a Styrofoam cooler over it."

You might want to consider that cooler or something similar with some ventilation to cover and protect that motor from the elements. Might help the new one last longer if it was rain that found it's way to the bearings.
If you ever choose to try and DIY the bearings there are some really good videos on youtube how to.

:google: https://www.google.com/#q=youtube+pool+motor+bearing+replacement

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.