Offline Chlorinator or??

806pool

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2015
So. Cal.
We just moved into a home with a pool and it is our families first time owning a pool. The equipment and pool are as they were when we moved in. Have been having water tested at Leslies (which after reading a bit on this site, i should be doing myself). The pool had a floating chlorinator but with the auto pool cover i read that if the floating chlorinator sits in one spot under the cover, it can damage the cover. So i was recommended by Leslies to install an offline chlorinator which i purchased....but have not installed yet. That is how i came across this site searching about the install of the chlorinator. Now im seeing many (if i understand right) not using chlorine at all but bleach instead. So my question is should i proceed with the offline chlorinator or go a different route? Any other advice you may have on pool care for a first timer, id more than appreciate. Learning as we go here.... Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention that the pool has a vinyl liner also. I have since added it to my signature. Not sure if it makes a difference in pool care. The test kit i need to purchase is the TF-100? How long does the kit typically last? Also didnt think about the bleach as chlorine! I did ask leslies when i first went in about the difference between the pucks andiquid chlorine and they said no one uses liquid chlorine anymore:???::???: the. I came across this site and apparently people do, lol. Ill do some reading up on the links u provided. Ill have lots of questions. So it sounds like i should hold off on installing the chlorinator for now... We would really like to get a handle on this to be able to be comfortable caring for the pool ourself. We've heard nightmare stories of how difficult pools can be.... Thanks for the help

Pools aren't difficult. The lazy pool store method of dump money and wait is what makes pools hard to maintain. I bought the XL kit last June. I had to buy new FC reagents this spring to replenish what I used, but everything else will easily last me through this summer. I'll order a full refill kit next spring. If you store it in a cool dark place to keep the reagents from degrading, I don't see why the kit won't last 2 seasons unless it's open year round. Then it may not last you as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The basic chemistry for any type of pool is the same.

The TF-100 is the best value for a kit that has the required FAS-DPD chlorine test. They warranty it for 18 months, but if stored properly it may last longer.

You have the option of returning the inline chlorinator or keeping and installing it if you think you're going to be unable to maintain your pool often. Lots of trips out of town or ... ?
The thing about using the chlorine pucks is that you need the chlorine (FC) daily but it also puts CYA in and as you'll read lots of people have trouble with having way too much CYA. The FC gets used up but the CYA is cumulative. Only way to lower it is draining water off. So people add the pucks because they need the FC but don't realize their CYA is climbing. If you don't use the pucks very often they can be helpful if you're away for a few days but they always cause problems if they are the main form of chlorination.
My advise would be to read some more about CYA and than make a choice on if you think it might be of value to you or a problem you don't need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.