Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Offline Chlorinator or??

1. Back To Top    #1

Offline Chlorinator or??

We just moved into a home with a pool and it is our families first time owning a pool. The equipment and pool are as they were when we moved in. Have been having water tested at Leslies (which after reading a bit on this site, i should be doing myself). The pool had a floating chlorinator but with the auto pool cover i read that if the floating chlorinator sits in one spot under the cover, it can damage the cover. So i was recommended by Leslies to install an offline chlorinator which i purchased....but have not installed yet. That is how i came across this site searching about the install of the chlorinator. Now im seeing many (if i understand right) not using chlorine at all but bleach instead. So my question is should i proceed with the offline chlorinator or go a different route? Any other advice you may have on pool care for a first timer, id more than appreciate. Learning as we go here.... Thanks in advance.
    13000 Gal rectangle gunite w/Aqua-Glass IG lap pool built in 1987 resurfaced (Aqua-Glass) in 2010, Hayward Max-Flo VS pump (model SP2302VSP)
    Rheem Gas Heater 266,000 BTUH (P-M267A-EN-C), Hayward Pro Grid D.E. Filter model DE3620, ThePoolCleaner, CoverPro safety pool cover, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Offline Chlorinator or??

Welcome to TFP!!!

Actually, bleach IS chlorine ... it just does not have the side-effects that the solid forms have, like adding CH or in the case of the tablets, stabilizer (CYA) and also lowering the pH.

Have you discovered Pool Schoolyet? Start with these which will help you speak our language
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Oh and these are the Recommended Test Kits. These is free shipping promotion going on at tftestkits.net right now
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention that the pool has a vinyl liner also. I have since added it to my signature. Not sure if it makes a difference in pool care. The test kit i need to purchase is the TF-100? How long does the kit typically last? Also didnt think about the bleach as chlorine! I did ask leslies when i first went in about the difference between the pucks andiquid chlorine and they said no one uses liquid chlorine anymore the. I came across this site and apparently people do, lol. Ill do some reading up on the links u provided. Ill have lots of questions. So it sounds like i should hold off on installing the chlorinator for now... We would really like to get a handle on this to be able to be comfortable caring for the pool ourself. We've heard nightmare stories of how difficult pools can be.... Thanks for the help
    13000 Gal rectangle gunite w/Aqua-Glass IG lap pool built in 1987 resurfaced (Aqua-Glass) in 2010, Hayward Max-Flo VS pump (model SP2302VSP)
    Rheem Gas Heater 266,000 BTUH (P-M267A-EN-C), Hayward Pro Grid D.E. Filter model DE3620, ThePoolCleaner, CoverPro safety pool cover, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Offline Chlorinator or??

Pools aren't difficult. The lazy pool store method of dump money and wait is what makes pools hard to maintain. I bought the XL kit last June. I had to buy new FC reagents this spring to replenish what I used, but everything else will easily last me through this summer. I'll order a full refill kit next spring. If you store it in a cool dark place to keep the reagents from degrading, I don't see why the kit won't last 2 seasons unless it's open year round. Then it may not last you as long.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

The basic chemistry for any type of pool is the same.

The TF-100 is the best value for a kit that has the required FAS-DPD chlorine test. They warranty it for 18 months, but if stored properly it may last longer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Read the Pool School (link at tops page)
    Stay out of Leslie's
    Ask questions here
    Follow our methods
    Beautiful clear pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

Oh and these are the Recommended Test Kits. These is free shipping promotion going on at tftestkits.net right now

Went to order the 100 kit, but how do i get the free shipping you mentioned to a oid the $20 shipping charge?

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is the link to TFTestkits: http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html. Order now as the free shipping is for a limited time only.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

Your total just must be more than $80 and the shipping charge is automatically dropped.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You have the option of returning the inline chlorinator or keeping and installing it if you think you're going to be unable to maintain your pool often. Lots of trips out of town or ... ?
    The thing about using the chlorine pucks is that you need the chlorine (FC) daily but it also puts CYA in and as you'll read lots of people have trouble with having way too much CYA. The FC gets used up but the CYA is cumulative. Only way to lower it is draining water off. So people add the pucks because they need the FC but don't realize their CYA is climbing. If you don't use the pucks very often they can be helpful if you're away for a few days but they always cause problems if they are the main form of chlorination.
    My advise would be to read some more about CYA and than make a choice on if you think it might be of value to you or a problem you don't need.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!