This pool filter cannot be backwashed?

newpoo

Nov 2, 2014
CA
Hi All,

I recently noticed the filter pressure is over 20 PSI.
So I guess it's time to clean the filter.
However, as in the attached picture, I can't find any valve on it so that I can do a backwash.
So to clean it I will have to manually open it up?
If that is the case, how much does it cost to hire someone to clean it for me?

Thanks,
Bo2015-04-04 11.57.41.jpg

If it is a cartridge filter, they do not have backwash valves.

The manual left by the previous owner is for "Pro-Grid Vertical Grid D.E. Filter Series".
There is a tag on the top of the filter, which is attached. I can see "DE2420MRZ1" at the bottom of the tag.
I googled "Hayward DE2420", it seems to be a DE filter :(

DE filters are really intended to have a multi-position main valve, which appears to be missing in your system. See for example this picture.

A main valve would allow you to backwash the filter. It is possible to open up the filter and clean it out, which should probably be done about once a year, but is quite a bit more work than backwashing for more routine cleanings.

Your filter should have a rotary valve or a push pull valve on it. Seems someone just hard plumbed it directly to the pump :(

Attachments

• progrid-2.jpg
    progrid-2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 83
  • josff.jpg
    josff.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 83
Yes, seems it was not installed properly in the first place :(
Is it worth the efforts to add a valve to it? or just keep it like this and do a thorough cleaning once a year?
I am not sure how many more years it can last. By looking at the manual, I think it was installed in 2004.
Probably I can wait until a new filter is needed?

Yes, seems it was not installed properly in the first place :(
Is it worth the efforts to add a valve to it? or just keep it like this and do a thorough cleaning once a year?
I am not sure how many more years it can last. By looking at the manual, I think it was installed in 2004.
Probably I can wait until a new filter is needed?

I vote add a valve or change the filter out depending on which one has a more attractive price. It would be a pain to take the whole filter apart every time you could've just back washed. It needs to be taken apart and cleaned once a year. You may be doing it once a month, and that will get old fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it might be overly optimistic to think you can make it a year between major cleanings without backwashing during that year. The filter is designed to be backwashed when it starts to become too restricted by all the different stuff that gets into the pools water.
When we talk about a yearly, through cleaning it's just that but that's on top of the regular normal maintenance of backwashing occasionally to rid it of the accumulation of "stuff" it's filtering out of the water. The problem I have in answering your question is there are so many variables as there are so many sources of stuff (grass clippings, tree leaves-needles-seeds, wind blown ??) that could be getting into your pool and not mine or not into yours that does get into mine.

You started out by saying the pressure is reaching over 20 psi so it's time to clean. How long has it taken, this is an indication of how often you'll need to take the filter apart for cleaning in the future.

IF . . the filter is correct for your pool then:
First choice if it was my pool, I'd get a valve for this filter. Filters last a long time and the grids inside are replaceable if or when they rip. The valve seems to be about $75 https://www.google.com/#q=sp0710xr50+hayward
That's the P/N I get from using your model on the Hayward site. Best to double check.

Or replace the filter with something new that has a valve.

It would be helpful if you added your location and pool info as outlined here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

If you haven't read this yet, you should: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/144-maintenance-and-cleaning-of-pool-filters

How often you will need to backwash will depend on the size of your pool, how well you stay on top of your water chemistry, and how much organic debris makes its way into the pool on a daily basis. If you stay on top of the water and keep it balanced and have little to no organic debris in your pool (other than swimmers) you may not need to backwash more than once or twice a season. If there is a lot of vegetation in the area that ends up in the pool (leaves, blossoms, dirt, ect) then you may be happier with a sand filter.

In looking at your picture, it looks like there is a push/pull valve coming out of a pump to the right of the filter. Is that true or is it coming out of something else? Also I don't see any other shut off valves in your picture. Do you have a way to shut off flow to the filter? A picture of the equipment pad from all angles would be helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.