Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable speed install recommended electrical components.

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable speed install recommended electrical components.

So my Ecotech 1.5 hp VS motor finally shipped from being on backorder for quite awhile and I am preparing for the install.

Currently at my pool pad I have a mechanical Intermatic timer, and do NOT have a local disconnect.

I will be removing the Intermatic timer.

1. What is the recommended surge protector for a variable speed motor? I have a Intermatic PS3000 in my cart online right now.

2. What is the recommended disconnect at the pool pad? I have an Intermatic PA600 in my cart online now.

3. Is there anything other that I should add while I'm doing the install?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable speed install recommended electrical components.

You can wire it to the timer and use the timer as the disconnect. Just take the start/stop tabs off the clock.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the PS3000 what you used for your Intelliflo?

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is just the plain old intermatic mechanical time clock. I don't have a surge protector at all. That looks like it will work great. Guess I probably should order one too.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Mine is just the plain old intermatic mechanical time clock. I don't have a surge protector at all. That looks like it will work great. Guess I probably should order one too.

Ya I figured for me, I could use the intermatic mechanical timer as the disconnect.

I was just thinking that if there was ever an emergency where we needed to shut the pump off it would be easier for the wife or company to see a BIG red switch that says off.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just bought this unit. Where would be the best place to install it?. I have a sub panel next to the pool equipment, should I install it there or the panel in the garage about 100 ft away from the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you put it in the main panel it will protect the house and the pool panel. Assuming the pool panel gets power from the main panel.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I have two surge protectors, a larger one (Eaton Ultra 109420) on my main service panel to protect all the electronics in the house and a smaller one on my pool sub panel. The one on the pool equipment only cost $25.

Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric SDSA1175 Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement

The reason for a second one on the pool panel is that the long run from main panel to pool sub panel can act as an antenna picking up a surge from nearby lighting.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the information. I do not have one on the garage panel at this time so just installing it at the pool breaker box would be fine?. I do have one on the main panel at the house but not the garage feeding the pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, installing it at the pool panel is fine.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I should have clarified. The house and garage are on separate meters, separate service. Thanks. The house has a surge device on it's panel, the garage does not. The garage is roughly 100-125 ft from the pool panel. The pool is wired through the garage service. Since it is such a long run I was thinking it might be better to put the protector at the pool panel or does it even make any difference?.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, I see, with a long run it might be a little better to put it at the pool panel. But, the garage panel should protect both.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Just remember that, if your pool panel has two phases (most do if there's any 220V pumps or heaters), then the surge protector you choose must protect both hot connections. Typically 2-phase surge protectors are slightly more expensive and they will require two slots in your panel.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

At a distance of 125 feet you should have a surge protector at the garage panel too. It's relatively cheap insurance if you have regular thunderstorms. Also you need to make sure you have a disconnect visible from the pump. No the timer does no count.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

The $25 Square D one I posted is for 220v service. It has a limited capacity, I wouldn't recommend it for your entire house, but for a pool sub panel it should suffice.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I installed one of these at the pool panel.

I think I will get one for the garage as well. The disconnect is about 2 ft from the pump.