Re-plumbing pipe size question

NeedMoreSun

LifeTime Supporter
Yay, my second question!

I'm still working on deciding what all I want for new equipment, and what to re-use, but my equipment pad is going to have to be moved further from the pool for a patio that will go in regardless.

The existing plumbing is all 1 1/2". Is there any disadvantage of converting it to 2" from the point I tie in to the existing pipes and including all above ground plumbing? Two reasons. First, I used to have a 300 gallon reef tank with a room full of refugiums and sumps and I still have a box of Shc. 80 2" unions and a couple true union ball valves. I'd like to use them since I have them. Second, when I plumbed all my tank equipment up I seem to recall that even a portion of the plumbing being larger diameter was at least fractionally better than all of it being smaller, even after having to be reduced back down. So, would doing that be ok?

Well, it seems the standard fittings on almost all the equipment is 2" so is currently using multiple adapters anyway so adapting it only once each direction should be fine so maybe I'm only looking for confirmation I'm not missing the obvious, lol.

Thanks!

Thanks!!! LOL, I just needed the reassurance before I start my list of all the other fittings I think I'll need.

On a related note though, my pressure pump for the Polaris is using Polaris brand reenforced flex hose. Is there any reason this can't be rigid PVC? It looks like they squeezed it in, and the pump not even fully on the pad, so I'm hoping rigid is ok and someone was just trying to do it easy with the space they had to work with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.