Not Sure Where to Start - Or What We Are Doing Wrong

Have a question about running the pool 24/7 during the SLAM. When we are not home, do we run it on recirculating? During the week, we aren't home a lot during the day since we both work and have kids in activities in the evenings, normally we have the pool on a achedulea. Just planning ahead for the work week.

Recirculate will keep the chlorine moving around and you'll also have an idea of how long the filter can go. If in doubt, recirculate.

Have another question. My husband and I are wondering about cleaning the sand in the filter. It has never been cleaned. He has noticed over the last couple of weeks that the flow doesn't seem strong when the pump is on. We had the booster pump replaced as it was still under warranty. We don't know if the replacement of this pump has anything to do with the low pump flow or not. We have a golden retriever who is HYPER and LOVES the pool. She is in and out of the pool ALL day - literally, no joke. She runs around and plays outside, runs to the pool, jumps on the ledge, rolls around, goes back to the yard, rolls around in the dirt (we lived on 3 treed acres and only have sod right around the house), and runs back to the pool. This repeats over and over. Every time she gets out of the pool, you can see the dirt come off of her. Plus she has long hair and sheds, soooo we are thinking that we might have quite a bit of gunk in the sand. We also have another golden, much less active, but she does get in when she's hot, takes a swim out to the deep end, then comes back after she's cooled off. This is the third summer we've had the hyper, playful golden and we've never cleaned the sand (or knew that we might need to). Curious if we should even worry about this right now? My husband is pretty mechanical, being an airplane mechanic), so we know he could do it, but we don't even know where to begin on how to take the cover off of the filter. But again, just curious if we should even worry about it at this point in the SLAM process.

Thanks again everyone!!:bowdown:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any opinion if we should worry about even trying the deep clean of the sand filter before the SLAM is finished?

Dave, Any recommendations on how much to order? Is it better to order a little at a time, do they expire? I can see running out of the FC test and the CYA test before the summer is out for sure.

A sign that you need deep cleaning is if you see sand or dirt blowing into the pool from the return eyeballs. The sand can become "channeled" which will let dirt pass through..

If you arent blowing dirt back in the pool, then wait to clean it.

If you stop the SLAM now to clean the filter, you will have lost the days progress and the $ spent on the bleach youve used. Its especially important to stay on top of the slam the 1st couple of days and keep the FC level at 24.

I would hope the PB gave you an owners manual for your filter and it will instructions on how to open it. If not, then write down the make and model of it and you can find the manual online. Or post a pic of it and we can guide you through how to open it.

Any opinion if we should worry about even trying the deep clean of the sand filter before the SLAM is finished?

Should we worry about the deep clean until after the SLAM is finished?

If you stop the SLAM now to clean the filter, you will have lost the days progress and the $ spent on the bleach youve used. Its especially important to stay on top of the slam the 1st couple of days and keep the FC level at 24.

I would hope the PB gave you an owners manual for your filter and it will instructions on how to open it. If not, then write down the make and model of it and you can find the manual online. Or post a pic of it and we can guide you through how to open it.

That was my gut instinct. Take one step at a time. I don't recall seeing any dirt filtering back through the eyeballs, so we will definitely wait on that . Thanks again. I just can't thank you guys enough.

Your thoughts on how much refill agents to order for the summer?

test regents do expire but not all at the same rate. The colored ones for TA and CH are most suceptible to going bad the quickets, but should be ok for 18 months from when they were made. Generally I would say replace the regents every year. How long have you had your kit?

I would say at least replace the colored regents if their age will be +18 months at end of summer.
Since you're slamming, get 2 of thre R0871 and that will be plenty for the slam + rest of the summer.

Dave, Any recommendations on how much to order? Is it better to order a little at a time, do they expire? I can see running out of the FC test and the CYA test before the summer is out for sure.

Do the deep clean after the SLAM is complete. Doesn't sound like you have a problem that deep cleaning would cure.
Most of the stuff including dog hair should come out when performing just a regular backwashing.
You think the flow doesn't feel as stong, is there a chance you have the pump running at a slower speed then before ??
What is your filters "Clean" pressure and what's it running presently ??

Doesn't sound like you have a problem that deep cleaning would cure.
Most of the stuff including dog hair should come out when performing just a regular backwashing.

Good to KNOW!!! My husband was beginning to think the dog was all of the problem - Lol!

You think the flow doesn't feel as stong, is there a chance you have the pump running at a slower speed then before ??
What is your filters "Clean" pressure and what's it running presently ??

hmmm, my husband is the one who thinks the flow isn't as strong. I'm not sure about pump speed - where would you find that information? and when you ask for clean pressure do you mean on the filter pressure guage? Today, the pressure gauge after backwash, was at 10%. The pump has been on recirculating since we couldn't watch it through the night and while we are at church, but it would get to 20% early today in about 2 hours (while doing the SLAM), which might not be unusual because of the algae gunk I was brushing up. The algae growth just might be all of the problem, huh?

Will post tomorrow on the pressure and see if I can find out about pump speed. :confused:

I simply cannot thank you enough for your time!

You mean the pressure was 10psi and rises to 20psi ... That is a 100% rise. Ideally you want to clean the filter by 12-13psi. That is the downside of the efficient DE filters :)

Here are the pics I took this morning that I couldn't get to load.
82a1604ae9c14fa83285c3e7fa13ceaa.jpg
b246b30ae1168cabe11ede1cb761c00d.jpg
fb01c9265886dc8f74d22596b6aae0d9.jpg

Pool equipment

ae64704f36fe9b088104e8ce819a2472.jpg

5a1ef459d1a1f68b094ec12623823e0b.jpg
7c600bd7cdc219bb196bb315ac1523f6.jpg
5a0f7019c787f54f71369b6e4b28edb6.jpg
0b1fc9922e6f47ea7ed55cd78d92f5cf.jpg
4851469aa022dcb46f364d637ddcccb6.jpg
a12f161427869f2be2c1885918f1913e.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.