asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is there a recommended "best time" to run a pool filter for maintaining chemical harmony? I ask because typically I run my pool in the evening for the purpose of energy savings - I'm on the time-of-use plan but considering moving off it. The neighbor next to me and behind me run their pools during the day so I'm wondering if they know something I don't.

Living in Florida, I find that running my pump during the day helps to circulate the warm top layer. When the pump shuts off on a really sunny day, the top six inches of the pool water gets very warm. The other 38 inches, not so much. Then, I have to start the pump to circulate it before we get in. Now that I have real solar, I definitely run it during the day.

Running during day will just help circulate water --- keep it clean/filtered, even out the temperature, etc. Nice things. But it will come at a huge cost in your energy bill, that isn't worth it.

I am in Phoenix on time of use (APS) and my rates increase between 12:00pm and 7:00pm. After 7pm the rates are basically cheap/free, up until 12pm the next day. I have my filter programmed to start around 8pm and shut off at around 12pm -- with different cycles/times of pump speeds (variable speed). This works very well.

Doing above, my electric bill didn't increase after getting the pool. But if you try to run it during peak times, you'll notice it. I just checked my APS statement, the cost per kWh is:
Peak = $0.213 (12pm-7pm)
Off Peak = $0.076 (other time)

Running during day will just help circulate water --- keep it clean/filtered, even out the temperature, etc. Nice things. But it will come at a huge cost in your energy bill, that isn't worth it.

I am in Phoenix on time of use (APS) and my rates increase between 12:00pm and 7:00pm. After 7pm the rates are basically cheap/free, up until 12pm the next day. I have my filter programmed to start around 8pm and shut off at around 12pm -- with different cycles/times of pump speeds (variable speed). This works very well.

Doing above, my electric bill didn't increase after getting the pool. But if you try to run it during peak times, you'll notice it. I just checked my APS statement, the cost per kWh is:
Peak = $0.213 (12pm-7pm)
Off Peak = $0.076 (other time)

So, people who have solar are forced to pay the higher rates? That seems counterproductive.

I don't have solar. If I had solar, in theory, my solar cells would be generating the electricity to power the pump and so I wouldn't be pulling power off the grid = free. Many people with solar actually produce more than they use, so under current rates, they are actually selling power back into the grid -- either making money or offsetting their electric bill (eg: solar doesn't power at night).

Most people who install "solar" for the pools seem to only have setup for heating the pool, not an actual power setup for the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.