Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Time to Run Filter - AZ Resident

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Time to Run Filter - AZ Resident

Is there a recommended "best time" to run a pool filter for maintaining chemical harmony? I ask because typically I run my pool in the evening for the purpose of energy savings - I'm on the time-of-use plan but considering moving off it. The neighbor next to me and behind me run their pools during the day so I'm wondering if they know something I don't.
    28k gallon in-ground pebbletec pool w/waterfall and grotto feature
    Triton II sand filter
    "The Pool Cleaner" 4-wheel vacuum
    1.5hp main pump; 1.5hp water feature pump
    Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Time to Run Filter - AZ Resident

Run it when it's cheap.

You don't have to run it a whole lot each day. Keeping your water in balance is way more important.
    50,000 gallon, IG, pebble, Triton II sand filter, Hayward EchoStar VS pump, Dolphin M5

3. Back To Top    #3

Living in Florida, I find that running my pump during the day helps to circulate the warm top layer. When the pump shuts off on a really sunny day, the top six inches of the pool water gets very warm. The other 38 inches, not so much. Then, I have to start the pump to circulate it before we get in. Now that I have real solar, I definitely run it during the day.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

Ideally you want to run it for several short periods spread around the clock. However, it doesn't really make that much difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

My folks are on a similar power plan that increases at noon. They use 11:45 am as the end point, and back up the clock from there to achieve their needed run time.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Running during day will just help circulate water --- keep it clean/filtered, even out the temperature, etc. Nice things. But it will come at a huge cost in your energy bill, that isn't worth it.

I am in Phoenix on time of use (APS) and my rates increase between 12:00pm and 7:00pm. After 7pm the rates are basically cheap/free, up until 12pm the next day. I have my filter programmed to start around 8pm and shut off at around 12pm -- with different cycles/times of pump speeds (variable speed). This works very well.

Doing above, my electric bill didn't increase after getting the pool. But if you try to run it during peak times, you'll notice it. I just checked my APS statement, the cost per kWh is:
    Peak = $0.213 (12pm-7pm)
    Off Peak = $0.076 (other time)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cyberalien View Post
    Running during day will just help circulate water --- keep it clean/filtered, even out the temperature, etc. Nice things. But it will come at a huge cost in your energy bill, that isn't worth it.

I am in Phoenix on time of use (APS) and my rates increase between 12:00pm and 7:00pm. After 7pm the rates are basically cheap/free, up until 12pm the next day. I have my filter programmed to start around 8pm and shut off at around 12pm -- with different cycles/times of pump speeds (variable speed). This works very well.

Doing above, my electric bill didn't increase after getting the pool. But if you try to run it during peak times, you'll notice it. I just checked my APS statement, the cost per kWh is:
    Peak = $0.213 (12pm-7pm)
    Off Peak = $0.076 (other time)
    So, people who have solar are forced to pay the higher rates? That seems counterproductive.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Cyberalien

Please add your location to your profile and your pools info to your signature as outlined here : http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't have solar. If I had solar, in theory, my solar cells would be generating the electricity to power the pump and so I wouldn't be pulling power off the grid = free. Many people with solar actually produce more than they use, so under current rates, they are actually selling power back into the grid -- either making money or offsetting their electric bill (eg: solar doesn't power at night).

Most people who install "solar" for the pools seem to only have setup for heating the pool, not an actual power setup for the house.