Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: owner/builder fiberglass Las Vegas

1. Back To Top    #1

owner/builder fiberglass Las Vegas

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum, just starting to do my homework for a pool for next summer. For now, my choice is going to be fiberglass. I am already having a hard time finding a company to purchase the fiberglass shell from. All the companies I'm finding are wanting to do the install as well. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justis

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

This doesn't surprise me as most people don't want to deal with contracting a crane, etc. and the installation of them is so critical to a successful outcome. There have been a few horror stories here that attest to the importance of a good install.
    Best of luck however you proceeds and with your research. Definitely an exciting time.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: owner/builder fiberglass Las Vegas

It is hard to get anyone to back the integrity of the shell if they do not also prep the site.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

hey there!
    Just wondering- what is your experience in dropping fiberglass shells in place? I've got a few pics of my pool being placed in the link in my signature line.
    It was quite an experience, letme tell you!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Try Tallman pools. They are made in Georgia and they'll help find contractors for the install.

6. Back To Top    #6

ZERO experience. I was originally weighing the options between fiberglass and gunite, so that is probably what I will continue to do. How rough is the gunite on your feet? Can anyone compare it to maybe a certain grit of sandpaper?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

With the right finish its like a baby's bottom.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

looks like i will be looking further into gunite. Am i correct in thinking that the smoother the finish, the harder it will be for algea to form and hold on?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by justis22 View Post
    looks like i will be looking further into gunite. Am i correct in thinking that the smoother the finish, the harder it will be for algea to form and hold on?
    Algae doesn't care how smooth or rough the pool surface is. Keep your FC in range for your CYA level and you won't have to worry about it.
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    FC/CYA Chart
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Algae doesn't care how smooth or rough the pool surface is. Keep your FC in range for your CYA level and you won't have to worry about it.
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    FC/CYA Chart

Ditto!

And welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter