Considering Returning my Z5

Mar 4, 2015
Jupiter, FL
Hello TFP!

So I picked up a Z5 from Epic Pool Supply about two weeks ago. After reading all the reviews it sounded like the Dolphin Z5 was the way to go. Unfortunately, I'm feeling really underwhelmed and I'm wondering if I have too high of expectations or if I genuinely received a dud unit.

First, let me say that it's serious pollen season here in South Florida and I've been dealing with water clarity for a few weeks. The stuff that settles is fine and you have to vacuum really slowly when done manually.

My issues:

The Z5 makes a path in the pool where the only clean trails are where the foam rollers contact the surface. It does pickup more via multiple passes but does not leave a full clean streak on the bottom. The water becomes extremely cloudy after it runs.

The robot completely misses two corners of the pool. Large areas, one 10x5' the other probably 7x3'. Even after multiple runs.

The cord gets so twisted it's like a cruel joke. The unit seems to turn only one direction, counter clockwise, probably 90% of the time.

It never makes it up on my stairs.

The filters are cleaned and they do get dirty after the unit runs. It is "cleaning" some of the stuff out of the pool. Am i expecting too much out of this robot?

Edit: I have not called Maytronics yet.

None of them do stairs well that I've heard. I don't know about the corners he's missing, but I would say give him time. I e never seen mine miss an area yet. I have an M5, but same difference there. I'll give you the cord tangle. Not terrible like that you describe, and it never hinders mine as far as I can tell.

Maybe pollen is getting through the filters some. Are you using the fine cart filters or the screen/mesh ones? It sounds like they are getting full of something which is what you want. I don't have pollen, but I get lots of fine sand and very fine dust. The carts pick up everything pretty nicely. Not sure what you expect, but I would try more before sending it back. If he always misses the areas, perhaps something is wrong. Based on seeing mine, I can't imagine that happening. I have a pool of the same size too.

Most yes, but not always 100% of everything. But, by the time he is done, I have never been disappointed. My cord does get twisted, but I've never seen it hold him back at all.

Which cart filters are you running in the Robot?

Mine has done well since day one but I definatly see a difference the last couple of runs. In my instance, it totaly ignored my shallow end. Now I see it spending a lot more time in the shallow end and the way it maunuvers around my pool. I was kinda underwhelmed at first but I am well on the way to being very impressed.

My cord never has tangled but I lay it out in the pool I don't know if that makes a difference.

If its only turning one direction, it sounds like something is broken, potentially one of the motors is not working. That would cause the cord to tangle for sure. You could take the remote and see if you can turn it in both directions.

And... I'm done. This thing has no suction power. Just keeps clouding up my pool and within 2 days it all settles back down. It even falls down from the sides rather than crawling down. If it's not defective then it's a terrible product. Very unhappy that Epic is going to try and hit me for a 20% restocking fee.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It sounds to me like you somehow got a lemon.

I would exchange it for another. I know they work and based on what you're reporting it really sounds like you got a defective one.

As for clouding your pool, there is likely something else going on that no cleaner will take care of. Can't say for certain, but you never did answer what filters you are running when it does this. If you have dust, and you're running the wrong filters that could be part of the issue.

Honestly, with a cartridge filter system on your pool there shouldn't be anything in there to cloud the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.