First time home buyer- above ground pool

Apr 3, 2015
Portland, TN
Hello all,
My husband and I will be first-time home buyers buying a home with an above ground pool. The home inspector says he doesn't inspect pools, but he'll check the motor and the electrical to make sure it's in working order. The current owners were elderly and I'm not sure they used the pool at all in the 4 years they lived there. It does not have a cover. Should we hire a pool inspector? What else should we know going into this endeavor? Neither of us have ever owned a pool before.
Thanks so much!
Clueless

Is the pool being included "as is" or is it a deal breaker if it has issues? From the little I know, AGPs are usually included "as is". If the potential owner doesn't want to deal with it, the existing owner will just sell it or give it away before the sale. My point is, if it's "as is" I would accept what the inspector is willing to do and not pay someone to inspect the pool separately. If it's holding water, you can check how level it is and determine if it leaks. Liners and pumps are not that expensive. If there is rust or damage to the walls that you feel make it an unsafe pool, get the existing owner to get rid of it before you close.

I recommend getting a separate pool inspection. The pool might be totally fine or need expensive repairs, and it is good to know that in advance.

Owning a pool can be very overwhelming just at first. Once you get into the routine it can be quick easy and a real joy, but just at first it is a lot to learn all at once.

Thank you all! The pool is included as-is. It is not a deal breaker at all. We weren't seeking a pool by any means, it just happens to be part of the deal. We're going back to the house tomorrow so I'll take some pictures and get a better grasp on what we have going on. I'll see if you all can give us some more insight then. Thanks again!

Oh boy, We bought the house, and the pool. Unfortunately the sellers did not fulfill the repair contract item- replacing missing pieces from pool filter and pump. We have absolutely no idea what we're doing. The sellers told us all of the parts they removed to "winterize" were in the garage in a baggy. We finished filling the pool up this morning and there was water coming out of the pump and out of the filter. My husband found a piece that fit in the pump, but no such luck with the filter. Our filter is an AquaTools AT3125 and it appears to be missing (from my research online) the drain cap, and I'm guessing an O ring. I'm thinking we're going to have to order that part online. I'm really worried about turning the pump are for the first time, though because we're not sure if it's still missing any pieces. The pump is an AquaTools AT2412710. I'll upload some pictures. How do I tell how big the pool is? I literally have NO idea what I'm doing. I think we're going to hire a pool guy to come look at this mess and help us getting started. Oy vey! Any and all advice is extremely appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!11216083_10207023106475742_353927994_n.jpg11216396_10207023106675747_1607635216_n.jpg

Please take a pic of the pool. How many post/uprights are around the pool.

For your future reference, although the pump as a whole might be aquatools, the motor is AO Smith based on the picture, and you can get parts for it separately from the pump assembly...it just opens your options when looking for parts, doesn't have to be aquatools specific.

Having someone come out is likely a good idea and them might have the caps and plugs you're missing with them.
Getting the pool running is the first step but I wouldn't have the person start adding anything to the water. Have you been reading any of the Pool School articles on your pools care ??
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.