False CYA test ?

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
Opened pool 2 days ago. Looks great thanks to you guys. I had the pool covered but have a small leak behind my light so was having to add quite a bit of water throughout the winter. My original #s 2 days ago were:
FC 4
CC .5
PH 6.8. Raised it w borax
TA 50
CYA 0
Water temp 58

I've taken care of FC, PH, TA. I only had 32 oz of stabilizer on hand. Put it in sock in front of return yesterday . Got more stabilizer yesterday and on a whim thought I'd check the CYA before adding any more. I don't want to overshoot. I was surprised 3 test are showing 35 CYA. could I be getting a false higher # since it hasn't been a week? Should I or shouldn't I add any more?

There isn't really anything surprising here, even if it looks that way. Give it the full week, measure the CYA again, and add more based on that number.

The one week wait is supposed to cover the longest it could possibly take for the CYA to dissolve. It is normal for some of the CYA to show up much sooner, and all of it to finish showing up a little sooner.

Also, the CYA test can read as zero when CYA is as high as 20. Also, the test is +-15 at the best of times.

So CYA could have been 20 both times, and the test would still be working normally. That isn't actually likely, but just illustrating the range of possibilities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.