Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: False CYA test ?

1. Back To Top    #1

False CYA test ?

Opened pool 2 days ago. Looks great thanks to you guys. I had the pool covered but have a small leak behind my light so was having to add quite a bit of water throughout the winter. My original #s 2 days ago were:
    FC 4
    CC .5
    PH 6.8. Raised it w borax
    TA 50
    CYA 0
    Water temp 58

I've taken care of FC, PH, TA. I only had 32 oz of stabilizer on hand. Put it in sock in front of return yesterday . Got more stabilizer yesterday and on a whim thought I'd check the CYA before adding any more. I don't want to overshoot. I was surprised 3 test are showing 35 CYA. could I be getting a false higher # since it hasn't been a week? Should I or shouldn't I add any more?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: False CYA test ?

There isn't really anything surprising here, even if it looks that way. Give it the full week, measure the CYA again, and add more based on that number.

The one week wait is supposed to cover the longest it could possibly take for the CYA to dissolve. It is normal for some of the CYA to show up much sooner, and all of it to finish showing up a little sooner.

Also, the CYA test can read as zero when CYA is as high as 20. Also, the test is +-15 at the best of times.

So CYA could have been 20 both times, and the test would still be working normally. That isn't actually likely, but just illustrating the range of possibilities.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No, but if all the contents of the sock are gone you may be close, but give it a few more days before re testing anyway.

You can decide then how much more to add.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys.....forgot that crucial info Jason +or -
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!