When is the best time to open an inground pool in central New Jersey

Sep 29, 2014
Wayne,NJ
We have a pool in the Lanoka Harbor area of NJ,just wondering when is the best time to open it and start it going ? I think it might be before the water temp gets too warm and alge starts growing? What tempature would that be ? Today is April 3,2015. Pool tempature now is about 55 degrees.

Inground Pool 16x32 vinyl liner 18,500 gallons, 4ft. to 6 1/2 ft. Hayward sand Filter,single speed pump.

Opening at 60 is desirable, but it's really a matter of convenience. Earlier opening means longer time maintaining with no swimmers, but later opening means the pool will be messier to get cleaned up.

Several factors are involved in the decision. Yes 60 degrees is a suggested point to open. But timing is also based on personal preference factors. Just test your FC to ensure you have an appropriate level to prevent algae.

I started weekly testing for FC and temperature two weeks ago. I plan to make additions to keep FC at 7, just above my target of 6 based on CYA test last Fall. I will probably test CYA later today to make sure I'm still between 40 and 50 or if I need to adjust my FC target downward. My pool was at 55 degrees on first test and 57 for second test.

I will probably open it on May 2 or May 9 when it hits mid 60s. My problem is keeping up with all the Spring tree dander once the cover is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.