Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice for new Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice for new Pump

Hi,

I have a 39,000 gal in ground pool with a 1-1/2hp Hayward Super II pump installed. I've spent some time researching and when I measured my skimmer pipe, it is only 1.5" in diameter, which means, apparently, that my pump is way over sized. I would like to replace the pump with a more energy efficient model (it currently costs me a fortune to run it and only 4 hours/day which is way below the turnover I should be doing given the plumbing). I'm getting very different answers from the pool companies locally about what to do and thought you all would be able to give me better advice. I'm weighing all the options from smaller hp single speed, smaller hp dual speed, and variable speed. Specific Brands/Models would also be helpful. I also ran across a company called Eco Pool Pumps which seems to have great marketing but your forums seem to doubt them... Any thoughts there?

A brief Recap of my current limits:
    39,000 gal pool (in ground)
    1.5" skimmer outlet (one main drain that is piped to skimmer, 1 outlet to pumping station from skimmer)
    Hayward Pro Grid DE 6020 with Hayward VariFlo Valve
    I recently bought a dolphin deluxe 4 to clean the pool so I don't think the main pump will need to run a suction side pool cleaner (which is what I had last season (Zodiac, but can't remember model name/#).

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Grant
    39,000 gal in ground pool
    Hayward 1-1/2hp Super II
    Hayward ProGrid DE 6020
    Dolphin Deluxe 4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice for new Pump

Welcome to TFP.

Are you on a tiered electric rate?
    If you're rate is high, it may pay you to go with one of the smaller variable speed pumps, because of the small plumbing. If it's not you might want to look at a 2-speed 1hp model.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have the typical high California electric rates you certainly want a variable speed pump. The Hayward MaxFlo VS is a good choice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your replies! Yes, I'm on the PG&E tiered plan and always end up in the highest tier 1/2 way through the month.
    39,000 gal in ground pool
    Hayward 1-1/2hp Super II
    Hayward ProGrid DE 6020
    Dolphin Deluxe 4 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Then take Jason's advice and check out the MaxFlo VS.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit