Depth of steps

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
IMG_1476.jpg

When I am standing in the pool on the floor and starting to step out onto the steps, the depth of the first step is 7 or 8 inches depending on where you're standing (7 around both corners of the step). The depth to get to the next two steps is a pretty constant 8 inches. But the depth to get to the last step (which is the first step if stepping into the pool) is about 10 - 11 inches and then to step out of the pool it is 12 inches.

Does anyone see a problem with the variation in depth? What is the proper (if there even is one) depth of the steps? Can these steps be changed to make them more uniform

Thanks

Steps must be more uniform than that in residential building code and for a good reason. I don't know if pool building code requires the same uniformity. I have no idea how they can be changed unless you tear out the existing.

I had this same issue, and I had them cut 2" height off the first step. Of course, i told PB when they shot the shell, even supplied a diagram, but did he listen? No, like so many other things they seemed to love doing things the hard way later on.

Being honest, this is a tough one. We thought about this a lot, planned with PB (we thought), and still had to get it repaired as I mentioned. I would think about it, decide exactly what I wanted and discuss options the the PB.

Patrick, I don't follow what you did. You cut two inches off the first step when you step into the pool from the coping? So you made it deeper? Or you cut off two inches when in the pool and stepping on the first step, making that depth less and the next step more?

I think he shortened the top step so that all but the first step are fairly uniform. I think that is what I would do since in the water you can not see the steps, so I would want then similar and the top out of the pool to be the odd ball.

I see. I'm not sure if that would work in my case. If we shortened the top step by two inches then each step in the water would be about eight inches (which would be good), but then the step from the coping to that first step would be 14 inches, which I think would be too steep.

Yes, that's what I did exactly. The distance from the next to last step getting out of the pool was too high. In my case, taking 2" off the top step just happened to work out ok. In your case, I don't think it would and completely agree, 14" down from the deck on to the first is a good deal too much. I know it is for me, and if you have older folks it'll be tougher for them. Not easy for anyone. They really should have put a whole other step in your stack to even things out better. I saw this on a couple of builds in progress I went too, and said then, no way. There were some, with just three giant sized (tall) steps, and I didn't want that at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.