Replacement Backwash Valve

aeopav

Apr 16, 2008
Texas
Greetings All,

I have not posted on this forum in quite a while, but I know you guys can help me out. My pool is 16 years old now and I have been having to replace a few things over the past few years due to age. My backwash valve, I believe, is contributing to D.E. getting into the pool. It is one of the push-pull types. Specifically, a Purex-Triton or Pentair 263064. It looks like this:DSCN2785 (480x640).jpg
DSCN2786 (640x480).jpg
The top of the valve where the screws are installed to retain the top plate is cracked, the handle is broke, and I have never liked the way it works. It is always next to impossible to rotate the handle and get it pulled up into the backwash position. Hence the broken T-handle. I've lubed, re-lubed and re-lubed and that is no help to this valve. It is just very stiff to operate. The cracks at the top are not going away either. I believe the cracks are letting air in when the pump is not operating and letting the water from the filter slowly drain back to the pool. I have had a problem with D.E. getting back to the pool for a couple of years now. So... I'm in the market for a new backwash valve and I want one that operates better than this one.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about this one: A Jandy 8034J DEL Series 2-in-1 Neverlube Multiport Backwash Valve with Pre-Plumbed Union Kit

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Jand...sh-Valve-with-Pre-Plumbed-Union-Kit/8034J.htm

Anyone have experience with this valve? Do you think I would have any trouble installing it? They have what they call a "versa coupling" in order to adjust the inlet/outlet port spacing.

Thanks,

Mark

I think you will be happier with a multi-port valve. In my opinion they are much more functional than the push/pull valves. I have not used the Jandy valve but Jandy has a reputation for making a very good product. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will come along to offer their input. By the way, Pentair does make a side mount multi-port valve for this filter, so you wouldn't have to worry about it not fitting the filter.

I would be concerned about switching brands if it does not explicitly say it will work on your filter. Often the manufactures have difference spacing on the pipes and use different threads for the unions.

Thanks for the input guys,

Since posting I have also found this valve online:

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/valves-fullfloxf-high-performance-backwash-valve-450.htm

This one, I'm sure, would be a no brainer installation. I'm just not sure I like it as well as the Jandy. If you look at the top and bottom caps, they look to me like the design is for them to just snap into place with the black plastic tabs fitting over two molded "pins" coming off the valve body. The user guide shows this method of inserting a screw driver or similar tool under the tabs and forcing them out/off of the tabs to remove the caps and service the valve. As we all know, plastic gets brittle over time and I'm wondering how well this valve would hold up. The manual does state that the valve is designed to use a thick silicone lubricant (it specifically calls out Dow Corning 111) that should be reapplied if the valve operation gets stiff. The caps would have to come off occasionally.

One feature this valve advertises: "FullFloXF High Performance Valve has near zero pressure loss across the valve which significantly reduces the amount of energy required by a filtration system. Depending on your utility rates, this valve could save you hundreds of dollars per year when compared to a typical backwash valve." Is that real or just marketing hype?

The Jandy valve has the typical Jandy top and bottom plates that are screwed in place. In addition it is called a Neverlube valve. It says nothing in the user manual about having to lubricate it. Am I safe to assume this valve never needs lubrication?

Saving you hundreds of dollars is likely just hype but it does look like it's a straight in shot for the flow in normal operation compared to the "Z" pattern of the present valve.
I'd check with the manufacturer of whatever valve you decide on and get their positive input on it working on your filter before parting with the $$$.

If you were happy with the push pull valve you can always just get a new one of different design. Your experience with the one you have is not typical and it would be the easiest plumbing wise.
New Pentair push pull: http://poolandspasupply.com/pentair...688_a_7c1318&gclid=CMXAt6Ce38QCFfRj7Aod61QAMA

Probably too late to help now, but my Jandy "Neverlube" just started leaking out the backwash. It is fairly straightforward looking so I took it apart (starting a new thread to address this problem, but I wanted to let you know this thing is not so great), and after putting it back together, it pours out the backwash, regardless of the setting of the valve. Plus, like all major pool companies, Jandy is pretty proud of the valve (diverter alone is $95). Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.