Super high pressure, low suction

Ive had the same pump for years before the capacitor broke so it sat all winter. Really ugly green pool when i began. Ive been shocking and shocking. Killed green but pool was cloudy. When i was vacuuming i noticed a filter was torn, putting DE into the pool. Took the filter apart, hosed off and inspected screens, replaced broken screen. Put it back together, put in DE, turn on pump and now my pressure is twice as high and suction is very low. Can u help?

Welcome Terry,

Sorry, but I'm going to start with some questions.

How long did the pump run before you saw the pressure increase?

Do you know if the pressure gauge is working properly? Does is fall to Zero when pump is off, and what is the clean starting pressure?

Is it possible you put in too much DE? I imagine you have a feel for that, just covering the basics. DE grids were clean after Hose Off?

On your shocking and shocking issue... We do it differently. We raise the Free Chlorine to a high level and hold it there. We call this a SLAM procedure. Its not a once or twice action and then you are done event. It's a process, but you need a couple of things to do it. First, you need to know your Cya Level, and be able to test for high levels of FC. These require a proper kit for both. We call it a SLAM procedure, and you can click the link in my signature to read about doing it. Can you tell us how you are testing things now?

I take it to leslies for water testing. I have been on a serious financial crunch so in all fairness to them, saving money has been my motivation. High pressure like: it usually runs at 15psi. Now it is pushing 33. Its past its maximum. I have suction at the skimmer, where i plug in hose but im able to pull the hose in or out w little resistance. Yes, all screens were clean and canister was empty. I only added exactly how much DE leslies told me to use.

I take it to leslies for water testing. I have been on a serious financial crunch so in all fairness to them, saving money has been my motivation. High pressure like: it usually runs at 15psi. Now it is pushing 33. Its past its maximum. I have suction at the skimmer, where i plug in hose but im able to pull the hose in or out w little resistance. Yes, all screens were clean and canister was empty. I only added exactly how much DE leslies told me to use.

In all fairness to you, saving you money is not on their list of priorities. Since you are green, they will be trying to sell you a load of expensive product. What we teach without fail, ends up saving people a significant amount of Pool Store Money. With a little investment in a kit, some free knowledge, free help here, and a few household products you can have a clean, clear and safe pool consistently better than what you've ever seen before. Our methods aren't about what's cheaper, but it rarely turns out to be anything other than less expensive. In the short run, as well as the long.

It's likely you are just clogging the filter with Algae and other matter. You'll need to kill it all and clear the pool to improve the situation. Outside of a major plumbing blockage, this is your problem. Are you sure they told you the correct amount of DE?

I would also add they haven't taught you to keep the pool from going green ever again. We will do that here, and our only motivation is helping people.

Alright, it sounds like the plumbing is clogged somewhere on the pressure side of the pump.

1) If there pool is still green, the filter is finally working correctly and catching debris very quickly. A properly working DE filter can clog up in an hour or two after being cleaned when there is live algae in the pool.
2) You added too much DE, clogging the filter.
3) Some valve is set incorrectly, mostly blocking the flow.
4) Something really dire and unusual happened to the plumbing, mostly blocking the flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.