Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murphy came to swim at my place

1. Back To Top    #1

Murphy came to swim at my place

OK, this is not really a question but I thought I should share in a place where everyone else understands.

I have been getting my pool up a running. I know it's Easter week but it was 80+ last week and things ( aka Murphy #1) were getting out of hand in my pool. I had some leaves in the pool and it had gotten green. (bad boy). So, this last weekend, using my manual vacuum and in-line leaf pre-filter, I removed my DE filter, added a bypass to get the water back into the pool and cleaned out the junk. I added a couple gallons of chlorine and set the pump the recirc the pool.

When the leaves were gone and pool a cloudy blue, I went to add my freshly cleaned Perflex back into the system. I got installed and plumbed, I added the DE via skimmer... and then Murphy #2 happened... The hose on the outlet of the filter is leaking, actually spraying, under full pressure from my pump. It's an abrasion caused leak and the hose is at least a season old. I don't want to leave it in place as I am afraid it could burst/split.

It's OK, I have a spare hose. I dig out the spare hose, add some hose clamps, and then Murphy#3 happens. The molding on the interior of hose it poorly formed and the hose will not go on the fitting. I get a knife and clean it up... it will work. I get it installed onto the pool return fitting on the wall of the pool and then Murphy#4, the fitting on the other end of the hose is misshapen and difficult to get onto the filter outlet. It requires two hose clamps... Murphy #5 for those keeping score... but it is working.

OK... i am good...right? Nope! #6, the NEW hose has a leak worse than the old hose, it's a fountain in relation. I am tired, muddy, frustrated... my LPS is closed while they vacation in Cancun and will not be back until next week, late. I taped the **** hose with e-tape and took my shower and poured a cold beverage.

Today, i looked for replacement hose locally, the website said go to this store... they have them in-stock. It's a large local hardware store and when i get there... no pool hoses in the store, no vacuum hoses, no cleaner hoses, not connection hoses... The two employee, on newer on older... no clue what pool hoses, point me to the hose rack in plumbing... we have this 1.5 inch clear vinyl hose by the foot... ARGHHHH. Their parting comment.. There's a Leslies down the street... My comment: No way, they don't get my money.

So, tomorrow I hope to get to the other real pool store in town and get a new hose.

I just had to share.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Murphy came to swim at my place

Dang techguy! Hope you get it sorted soon.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

So THAT is where he has been! He was not at my house last week. It was a good week! LOL So sorry he stayed so long. When you send him packing can you send him to the other side of the world??

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Nobody told us there would be days like these.. This is usually how my sprinkler repairs go. Last weekend, I had the wrong sprinkler part. I drove 20 minutes to the store. Spent 40 minutes sitting in traffic to come home. Jumped out of the car excited to be home and get the last piece attached. What happened? I take the part out of the bag and, it's the same part I already had. Yep, back to the store I went to spend $1.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

OH NO! The SAME part?????????? That is something just like I have done in the past!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Stopped by the other pool store, they had the cuffed hose I wanted, only $20. I will attempt to put it on the pool tonight but I have a Kings basketball game tonight and we are leaving for thing in the morning for the weekend.

I really would like to get the water filtering and chlorine moving around. I was soooo close to getting the water clean/clear.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Calling Murphy!!!!!!!!! Come on down to see me. I will at least be home to "play" with you! LOL

Hoping it goes well for you!

Kim

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    OH NO! The SAME part?????????? That is something just like I have done in the past!

Kim
    Yep, I got home feeling very proud of myself. I pulled it out of the bag and realized, I just bought the exact same part that I already had. It was wrong before I went and it is still wrong now. Back in the car...
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

9. Back To Top    #9

I am so happy to here that Mr Murphy is a traveler and just doesn't stick around my area, so sorry to here of your troubles
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Murphy visited me also. I guess I should start by confessing that we didn't winterize the pool this year. We were working really long hours in the fall and it just didn't happen. My hubby decided we would put the leaf cover on and circulate it during the winter. Everything was fine until the middle of February when the pump motor decided to lock up. It wasn't very cold, but snow was in the forecast for the next day. Oh, I forgot to mention we both had the "death flu" at that time with fevers around 103. I've never been so sick in my life. So... when I discovered the pump wasn't working I staggered out there and closed the shut off valves and drained the skimmer, strainer and cartridge filter housing. The low was only supposed to be 31 that night so I figured it would be fine. I was WRONG! The shut off valve broke and allowed water to flow back into the whole system. Everything, and I mean literally everything froze and busted. The weatherman was wrong. It got a lot colder than they said it would.

Three weeks ago I ordered all new equipment online. When we opened the box we discovered they sent us the wrong stuff, entirely different that what we paid for. We are still waiting on them to correct it. In the meantime our pool has turned into a greenish black swamp. The only good thing is I that used Paypal for my payment. I should be able to get my money back if becomes necessary.

I will never fail to winterize again.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

11. Back To Top    #11

Samantha! OH NO! Welllllllllllllll at least you KNOW how to fix it.

okay so do you have enough regents to do a green to clean SLAM? If not go ahead and order them and start stocking up on bleach.

I will TRY to keep Murphy over for a while as you have had your share for sure! That flu was NASTY!

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

Ole Murph needs to stay away from my place!

13. Back To Top    #13

Casey YOUR place had Murphy WAY too long last year! I see a ban on him for you!

Kim

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I have to say I do appreciate you taking so many hits for the team. I'm hoping Murphy is so tired from swimming at your pool I don't have to host him

He always seems to find the "Red Green" in everything I do.

Got a heck of a laugh out of this layout and thought I'd share.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

PLEASE tell me this is NOT one of "our" set ups!

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

I photo shopped it. I have no clue and was laughing my but off. I imagine if you can't dump, flush, fill, filter, spray, transfer or bypass a heater with that setup, it just can't be done.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Casey YOUR place had Murphy WAY too long last year! I see a ban on him for you!

Kim
    Amen!

18. Back To Top    #18

Murphy was at our place a couple months ago, but we were getting a couple trees cut down. One of the limbs smashed our pool.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG
    1 1/2 hp pump, sand filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by newnick View Post
    Murphy was at our place a couple months ago, but we were getting a couple trees cut down. One of the limbs smashed our pool.
    Did the people cutting the trees down have insurance? Are you going to be able to save the pool?

I bet it seemed to happen in slow motion................NO NOT ON THE POOL!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

YOU all keep Murphy at you pools and staying in your spare bedroom, cause I dont want him here, he visits frequently enough!
    27 Foot diameter 52" vinyl liner pool above ground, Hayward EC50 DE Filter, BBB method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast