columbia station / OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Happy Spring everyone. I am getting a jump on opening the pool before it gets warm enough for anything to grow. I just tested my water which is probably about 1/3 from snow and rain; i have a mesh winter cover. FC=0, CC=0, PH=6, TA=20, CH=40. I used my test kit from last year, is that a problem? The water is clear with just a tiny bit of debris. What order should I add product to get the chemistry back in check? This is my first opening. What is the best products to start with? I was planning on liquid chlorine, borax, and baking soda. Oh, and I should mention the one skimmer i looked in appeared to have a little white slime in it. Any idea what that is? It is far too cold for anything to grow here in NE Ohio.

Start by raising TA to about 60 first, then retest PH and adjust PH up to at least 7.2.

You will need to measure your CYA level as well. Unless CYA is high enough already, raise CYA to around 30.

If CYA is zero, start adding 2 PPM of chlorine in the early evening after the cover is off. And then switch to targeting the FC level appropriate for your CYA level 24 hours later. If CYA is 20 or higher to start, go straight to targeting the FC level appropriate for your CYA level as soon as the TA and PH are adjusted.

Did you take those readings after the water had time to mix? Is it circulating? You might have a layer of snowmelt on top.

Low CH is no problem with vinyl pools. You won't damage plaster. Some people have problems with foaming when CH is below 200. Wait and see. If you don;t, or of it doesn't bug you, you don't need to spend money on adding it.

I have no idea what the slime is. Maybe pollen?

Yes Sir. I have read about it all week and will be starting up this year without it. It came with the pool when it was installed last year. I suspect it is the cause of a little discoloration on the fiberglass stairs. I checked them this morning, after cleaning them with a magic eraser when I closed the pool, and they are back to white.

- - - Updated - - -

What about my test kit, Taylor K-2005. Is it ok to continue using it for a second season? Is there any indicator that the reagents are spoiled?

On Taylor's website (and somewhere on the forum) there is a description on how to know if they went bad.

If it was truly new when you bought it and stored it well, it should be good.

Do you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.