Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening water adjustment order

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening water adjustment order

Happy Spring everyone. I am getting a jump on opening the pool before it gets warm enough for anything to grow. I just tested my water which is probably about 1/3 from snow and rain; i have a mesh winter cover. FC=0, CC=0, PH=6, TA=20, CH=40. I used my test kit from last year, is that a problem? The water is clear with just a tiny bit of debris. What order should I add product to get the chemistry back in check? This is my first opening. What is the best products to start with? I was planning on liquid chlorine, borax, and baking soda. Oh, and I should mention the one skimmer i looked in appeared to have a little white slime in it. Any idea what that is? It is far too cold for anything to grow here in NE Ohio.
    20x40 30k gal vinyl, Inline Tri-Chlor Chlorinator, Hayward 250K btu heater, Hayward 2HP Super Pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening water adjustment order

Start by raising TA to about 60 first, then retest PH and adjust PH up to at least 7.2.

You will need to measure your CYA level as well. Unless CYA is high enough already, raise CYA to around 30.

If CYA is zero, start adding 2 PPM of chlorine in the early evening after the cover is off. And then switch to targeting the FC level appropriate for your CYA level 24 hours later. If CYA is 20 or higher to start, go straight to targeting the FC level appropriate for your CYA level as soon as the TA and PH are adjusted.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. What about the Calcium Hardness? I have a vinyl liner, is it even important?
    20x40 30k gal vinyl, Inline Tri-Chlor Chlorinator, Hayward 250K btu heater, Hayward 2HP Super Pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter,

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you take those readings after the water had time to mix? Is it circulating? You might have a layer of snowmelt on top.

Low CH is no problem with vinyl pools. You won't damage plaster. Some people have problems with foaming when CH is below 200. Wait and see. If you don;t, or of it doesn't bug you, you don't need to spend money on adding it.

I have no idea what the slime is. Maybe pollen?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good advice. I will get the pumps hooked up and re-test before I add anything.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!!

Has anyone warned you away from the Nature 2 minerals yet? I highly recommend you get the metal pack out and not introduce them to your water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes Sir. I have read about it all week and will be starting up this year without it. It came with the pool when it was installed last year. I suspect it is the cause of a little discoloration on the fiberglass stairs. I checked them this morning, after cleaning them with a magic eraser when I closed the pool, and they are back to white.

- - - Updated - - -

What about my test kit, Taylor K-2005. Is it ok to continue using it for a second season? Is there any indicator that the reagents are spoiled?

8. Back To Top    #8

On Taylor's website (and somewhere on the forum) there is a description on how to know if they went bad.

If it was truly new when you bought it and stored it well, it should be good.

Do you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

The best indication of reagents expiring is that if the organic dyes stain their plastic containers, they are bad.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all your help. Pool opening was smooth and the water is clear. Jason, I ordered the FAS-DPD test a little bit ago and should have it this week sometime.