Slamming questions.

I did use pool math when i calculated. Down at the very bottom is where i calculated( affects of adding chemicals) and yes it was way wrong.
Tonights rain will help with some if it i suppose.
Thanks for your help..guess i will start over again next week..

Stacey

Could have been strong bleach or the pool is smaller than you think.

Use the top portion of PoolMath to calculate dosages. Enter your current reading in the left column and target in the right.

I think your water depth is actually more like 42" deep. Not a huge difference though. Something is off somewhere, as the Pool Math is just about as near dead on as you can get. Tiny, tiny variations if anything.

When I calculated the gallons for my pool i used 3.5 for depth at the bottom of pool math for 18' round and it gave me 6700. That is what I use and it's been very accurate.

I have a very similar pool to yours except mine is the 18'. The frame itself is 48" high but as Patrick said the actual water depth is closer to 42" if you have it filled right to the seam at the top.

I calculated 16' round with 3.5' depth at the bottom of pool math and that comes to 5300 gallons for your pool.

For your new CYA of 35 your shock level is 14.

On your last measurement (8:30 pm) you said you were at 10.5 and you added "half a jug".
To raise your FC from 10.5 to 14 should have been 28 oz. (With pool size set to 5300 gallons)
Half a jug (Assuming a 121oz bottle of bleach) would have been almost double.

While it's ok to go over a little, it would be good to get in the habit of just using what it says for now. That way you can be sure not to damage anything.

Make sure you have your numbers set right on the top part of pool math for pool size, bleach percent (8.25% if you're using walmart great value brand, just check on the bottle.) and jug size 121oz (Almost all bleach comes in that size now rather than 128oz. Again, double check the bottle.)

Hello,
Back again
Here are my numbers after 3 days with not pump on or anything added

When i did the test and put the scoop in it just barely turned pink..i mean if at all
so i went on and of course i only put one drop 0871 in it to get it back to clear..like is say..very hard to tell

Also, the CYA has been in the pool since I think Friday ..would have to read back a few post to find out for sure the date.
I tested the cya today and i lost the black dot between 40- 50..should i take the cya out?
Since i had overshot the chlorine is it possible i have too much?

0.5 tc
0 cc
0.5 tc...probably just 0 all the way
PH 7.8
alk 250 ppm tested twice
cya 40-50 range

So when i am doing pool math for bleach calculation i put my calculation in the FC section correct?
Why is the goal 3 to 7 because i need it to be between 16 to 20! I assume those goal numbers are for a non slam calculation..
Do i just go ahead and put the number 18 in there for the goal?
Thanks,

Stacey

Are you saying the pump has not been running? It needs to run at least an hour before you can test.

Yes put you desired FC level in the Target column and your current FC reading in the Now column.

You do not really need it much higher. Although I do not understand the "since I overshot the chlorine" question? What did you add? Is that why you think the CYA is higher than expected?

oh wait..i just added bleach so i will have to wait.
Oh my goodness am i ever going to get in this dang pool lol
ok well maybe i didn't over shoot it again!
Check back in a while

- - - Updated - - -

i overshot the chlorine a couple days ago before i went on little vacation.....
I just added bleach to the pool since it has been setting for 3 days with no bleach added and pump not running.

Just a quick note: remember to keep the pump running the WHOLE time you're doing a SLAM. And be sure to maintain the shock level.

If your decision to add the cya was based on the pool store's cya Calc and not your own, you may indeed be overshooting on cya. Since your swg is not yet hooked up, I'd pull the sock for now. Your cya is plenty high enough for slamming. When you hook up your swg, you'll want it higher (see the cya chart in pool school -- non swg pools run best with lower cya, swg with more cya because that way the unit doesn't have to work as hard).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks..
I had no cya after i drained the pool about 3/4 of the way. So i put cya in sock and had it in the for 4 days and my level has risen to between 40 and 50.
when i added bleach last week i over shot the calculations so the folks say that maybe i have miscalculated my pool size so i just dropped the gal size down to 5300 gal and did the calculation which said 1 jug and two cups. skipped the two cups..poured in 1 jug 121 fl oz waited an hour went back out tested the pool and get
19.5 fc
2.00cc
21.5 tc
with a shock of between 16 - 20 i guess i come in just under the mark.
Side note..i do not smell a lot of bleach when i go out there..
usually its pretty strong after a jug:) busy eating some stuff i guess ;)

Actually the lack of smell is a good thing. It means there is less for it to react with. When you smell that chlorine smell it's from reacted or combined chlorine. It's reacted with organics, and that's what you smell. If you'll notice sometime, you don't get a huge smell like that from a fresh bottle of bleach when you open it. This is why.

Thanks!
off to work this morning. Got up and cleaned the filter she was pretty brown..
did my test this morning and i was surprised that it had not fallen off..i thought for sure i would need to add more bleach but i have
18.5fc
1.0cc
19.5 tc
going to leave that pump running all day and test her again at 5:30 when i get home..

Stacey

Evening all..
number for the afternoon
14.5 fc
0.5cc
15 tc
Left pump running all day. Washed it out when i got home. Pretty brown.
Going to add 12 oz of bleach.
scrubbed the bottom all the way across.
We got a lot of rain here and have had zero sun today and FC fell by 4 points thru the day.
2 things i am noticing.
All of that white stuff that is usually in the pump when i clean the filter is not there any more.
And it seems like when i look down in the pool i can see deeper than i have been able to before.
So just going to keep my shock level about 16 and keep the pump running and see what happens.
I just don't see how adding a cup of bleach can help do anything lol
but here goes

Stacey

Hello all,

Continuing with my slam. I got in the pool two days ago for about 10 mins to swirls it around a little bit and clean down the sides real well.
So far i have not died from some mystery illness my mother keeps swearing will happen to me for getting in a cloudy at the bottom swimming pool.
Keeping up the shock level to between 16 to 18 but darn it if this rain makes it tough to want to go out there! Muddy mess everywhere!
last night at 10:30 pm I had a
1 cc
15.5 tc so added bleach to get me to 18 went to bed.

up this morning at 8am
0.5 or maybe one on cc hard to tell
at most 18.5 tc
Still cleaning filter two times a day. Still brown every time i clean it.
The white flakes are back in the filter pump water when i removed it to clean.
Water is getting clearer. I can see the blue square tiles at the bottom but very hazy. From across the pool
i can see the second step down pretty clearly.
This is a very slow process it seems. I am beginning to think i need a better pump. Or a larger shock level..
Waiting patiently...

Stacey

Those little filters just can't handle much, and it was pretty dirty in there. It will just take some time. I had a little one before, and finally put a little sand filter on it. Made life much better. Just keep on it, and it will come around.

Good morning all
I have been continuing my slam but just got fed up with all the filter cleaning so day before yesterday i installed
a sand filter and i have a few questions about the run time with it. Since you are supposed to run pump constantly
with a slam does this also include a sand filter pump as well?
I can see a ton of difference in the water. It was still cloudy about half way down when i installed. I have run
the pump a total of 6 hours. Kept my shock level at around 18 and gotten in (only the second time) and swirled everything around and
got almost every little stick and twig out from the wind storm two days ago:)
Water is moving a lot with this 2150 gph pump and i have now noticed that the cap that is on the water output that is inside
the swimming pool will not let me direct the water either up or down like it would before. It is stuck and i wonder if it is because
there is so much pressure on it from the water flowing out?
Do i constantly run the sand filter? Manual says for my pool to only run 2 hours a day. I ran it two hours first day and 4 hours second day..
Thanks,
Stacey

The filter type does not affect the pump run time recommendation which is 24/7 when SLAMing.
Are you trying to move the eyeball with the pump turned on? Try it when the pump is off.

Hello everyone:)
Back again but just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me! I finally have my pool under control. Was able to pass the overnight test not long after i got the sand filter pump. I would say to anyone who has a above ground to just break down and go get a sand pump. It will save you a lot of headache and money as the pump that came with the pool just won't clear the water up fast enough for you unless you are very, very patient! Within 2 days or so my water was no longer cloudy from the knees down and now i can see the bottom with no problem:) Have been super busy with work but i have been testing about every 3 days or so and i am not losing much fc but battle a little with PH once we use the pool for a day and my TA is in the 210 range but just hit her with some MA:)
You guys have been great just wanted to say thanks!
I am still contemplating hooking the salt system up..right now just adding a little bleach every 3 days. This is so easy to do i wonder if i really should even bother!

Stacey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.