Does size REALLY matter? (Sand filter question)

Mar 29, 2015
Indiana
Howdy all,

I'm looking to replace my cartridge filter with sand for several reasons. As you can see our pool is approximately 23,500 gallons and we have a 1hp pump. Is there a rule of thumb on size of filter v. pool? I was planning on getting the Hayward 24" top mount which is on amazon for about $300. Would it be worth it go with the 27" for $100 more? From what I've read from my searches on here it appears that the only benefit to a larger filter is less frequent backwashing. Is there any other reason to go with the larger filter?

Thanks!

For a pool that size, a 27" sand filter is about the minimum I would personally want to go.
If your filter is way too small for your pump, then you can have other issues.
But, ignoring that, you are correct that the size really affects how often you need to clean it.

Realize that going from a 24" to a 27" is a 26+% increase in filter area.

just be aware you have to add a lot of sand to the filter.
sand will not clean better than a DE.
and many cartridge filters clean pools better than sand.
be sure you have a wide enough platform to put your filter on. my triton II uses 325 lbs of sand and pebbles.
my 4" platform sank as the filter was installed on one corner, I had to raise it to make it level again
before it broke my plumbing. it sank over 2 1/2" on the edge the filter was sitting by the prior owner.
over all sand and filter will weigh about 400 lbs 8 lbs for the average gallon of water included, when you are done.
so you might want to look into the sand/pebble costs for it too.
hope that helps......

Bigger filter is better as it can handle more dirt so you can go longer between backwashings. If you needed to slam it will take out more stuff without you having to babysit it worrying it might plug up.

Thanks for info and suggestions all.

just be aware you have to add a lot of sand to the filter.
sand will not clean better than a DE.
and many cartridge filters clean pools better than sand.
be sure you have a wide enough platform to put your filter on. my triton II uses 325 lbs of sand and pebbles.
my 4" platform sank as the filter was installed on one corner, I had to raise it to make it level again
before it broke my plumbing. it sank over 2 1/2" on the edge the filter was sitting by the prior owner.
over all sand and filter will weigh about 400 lbs 8 lbs for the average gallon of water included, when you are done.
so you might want to look into the sand/pebble costs for it too.
hope that helps......

My equipment platform in 2" concrete and already starting to sink in the back so I will probably have the same issue as you did. Also, at 325 lbs of sand I'm guessing your filter is the 24"? How well does it do as our pools are similar in size?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.