Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does size REALLY matter? (Sand filter question)

1. Back To Top    #1

Does size REALLY matter? (Sand filter question)

Howdy all,

I'm looking to replace my cartridge filter with sand for several reasons. As you can see our pool is approximately 23,500 gallons and we have a 1hp pump. Is there a rule of thumb on size of filter v. pool? I was planning on getting the Hayward 24" top mount which is on amazon for about $300. Would it be worth it go with the 27" for $100 more? From what I've read from my searches on here it appears that the only benefit to a larger filter is less frequent backwashing. Is there any other reason to go with the larger filter?

Thanks!
    17x41 Sun Fiberglass Pool 21,500 gallons. Jandy 1hp pump, Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter, Coverstar Auto Cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does size REALLY matter? (Sand filter question)

For a pool that size, a 27" sand filter is about the minimum I would personally want to go.
    If your filter is way too small for your pump, then you can have other issues.
    But, ignoring that, you are correct that the size really affects how often you need to clean it.

Realize that going from a 24" to a 27" is a 26+% increase in filter area.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have been reading here for very long,
    #1 - there is no such thing as a filter that is too large (as long as you have space for it
    #2 - if in doubt - see rule 1
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes Heugeneo size does matter.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will go with the 27".

bobodaclown, I think my wife's been lying to me this whole time, she told me not to worry about the small filter as long as it works
    17x41 Sun Fiberglass Pool 21,500 gallons. Jandy 1hp pump, Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter, Coverstar Auto Cover.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would strongly suggest a 30"

As Blizzle stated above, 27 is bare minimum. Having more filter than you need is a good thing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by heugeneo View Post
    bobodaclown, I think my wife's been lying to me this whole time, she told me not to worry about the small filter as long as it works
    No she hasn't been lying. If you're happy with what you have, and it's working, no need to change.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

just be aware you have to add a lot of sand to the filter.
    sand will not clean better than a DE.
    and many cartridge filters clean pools better than sand.
    be sure you have a wide enough platform to put your filter on. my triton II uses 325 lbs of sand and pebbles.
    my 4" platform sank as the filter was installed on one corner, I had to raise it to make it level again
    before it broke my plumbing. it sank over 2 1/2" on the edge the filter was sitting by the prior owner.
    over all sand and filter will weigh about 400 lbs 8 lbs for the average gallon of water included, when you are done.
    so you might want to look into the sand/pebble costs for it too.
    hope that helps......
    18X36 Grecian 24400 est., pacfab sand Triton II, 1.5hp AOSmith, clormatic 2

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Bigger filter is better as it can handle more dirt so you can go longer between backwashings. If you needed to slam it will take out more stuff without you having to babysit it worrying it might plug up.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for info and suggestions all.

Quote Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
    just be aware you have to add a lot of sand to the filter.
    sand will not clean better than a DE.
    and many cartridge filters clean pools better than sand.
    be sure you have a wide enough platform to put your filter on. my triton II uses 325 lbs of sand and pebbles.
    my 4" platform sank as the filter was installed on one corner, I had to raise it to make it level again
    before it broke my plumbing. it sank over 2 1/2" on the edge the filter was sitting by the prior owner.
    over all sand and filter will weigh about 400 lbs 8 lbs for the average gallon of water included, when you are done.
    so you might want to look into the sand/pebble costs for it too.
    hope that helps......
    My equipment platform in 2" concrete and already starting to sink in the back so I will probably have the same issue as you did. Also, at 325 lbs of sand I'm guessing your filter is the 24"? How well does it do as our pools are similar in size?