Phase 2, the SPA

Yori96

Feb 11, 2015
Red Deer, Alberta
So I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me so far, hopefully we can continue! This one is a little different than the pool, albeit same thing... Not working lol!

When we did the walkthrough, the guy that owned the house said the following :

SPA cracked due to over-heating, un-usable, fill with cement.

I had that pool guy here, we ripped the top off and found this :

Basically what the pool guy (they are actually a SPA company) desctribed is that it looks like the gel was coming off due to age and heat couldn't cause this problem.

He gave me a two part water epoxy to apply to what looks like already filled product after sanding it out abit.

He said after that, fill it to the fill line and see if the water stays there, if the water stays there than it's good to go, if not well than obviously there's a leak elsewhere.

So my question to you guys would be, would you test this or not? Also, I've attatched two other pictures, if I was to fill it, is there a way I could plumb this in to my existing plumbing with the SPA pump feeding off of the main pump (I doubt it but have to ask) , so that I can feed it through my sand filter as well? Or how would I go about getting this spa set up and filtered properly?

It very much depends on how large a project you are up for. That looks like it is going to be a fairly large project.

There are various possibilities for the pump/filter sharing, but any of them look like they will be a fair amount of plumbing.

I'm down for a project. I basically just want to be sure the unit doesn' tleak first I would guess right? Why do you feel it will be a big project? I'm fine w/ re-plumbing if required, would it be smarter to run like a second smaller filter or should I run it through my sand filter?

For a spa, you need high flow rates, so you can not use too small of a filter.

Looks like you could add a 3-way in front of the pump to hook to the spa suction and then another after the filter/heater to go back to the spa.

But I would certainly check if it leaks before doing any plumbing.

Just fill it with water, have a submersible pump ready and waiting to dump water if needed?

My only problematic thought here is that if I fill it and there "is" a leak and I toss the pump in, should I dump it outside or in my pool? I'm just worried about how long it's been down and what could be in the underground plumbing that would be dumped in to my pool.

The spa is below the open pipes in the room. (attached a picture) The room with the pipes is the open door with light on in the back right.

My only problematic thought here is that if I fill it and there "is" a leak and I toss the pump in, should I dump it outside or in my pool? I'm just worried about how long it's been down and what could be in the underground plumbing that would be dumped in to my pool, depending where the leak is I suppose the house too lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.