Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phase 2, the SPA

1. Back To Top    #1

Phase 2, the SPA

So I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me so far, hopefully we can continue! This one is a little different than the pool, albeit same thing... Not working lol!

When we did the walkthrough, the guy that owned the house said the following :

SPA cracked due to over-heating, un-usable, fill with cement.

I had that pool guy here, we ripped the top off and found this :

Basically what the pool guy (they are actually a SPA company) desctribed is that it looks like the gel was coming off due to age and heat couldn't cause this problem.

He gave me a two part water epoxy to apply to what looks like already filled product after sanding it out abit.

He said after that, fill it to the fill line and see if the water stays there, if the water stays there than it's good to go, if not well than obviously there's a leak elsewhere.

So my question to you guys would be, would you test this or not? Also, I've attatched two other pictures, if I was to fill it, is there a way I could plumb this in to my existing plumbing with the SPA pump feeding off of the main pump (I doubt it but have to ask) , so that I can feed it through my sand filter as well? Or how would I go about getting this spa set up and filtered properly?

18.2K Gallon , IG(In Door) , Vinyl , 300lb Sand Filter, Waterway PF-40-2N22M Pump, Emerson R63MWENA-4727 Motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phase 2, the SPA

It very much depends on how large a project you are up for. That looks like it is going to be a fairly large project.

There are various possibilities for the pump/filter sharing, but any of them look like they will be a fair amount of plumbing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm down for a project. I basically just want to be sure the unit doesn' tleak first I would guess right? Why do you feel it will be a big project? I'm fine w/ re-plumbing if required, would it be smarter to run like a second smaller filter or should I run it through my sand filter?
    18.2K Gallon , IG(In Door) , Vinyl , 300lb Sand Filter, Waterway PF-40-2N22M Pump, Emerson R63MWENA-4727 Motor.

4. Back To Top    #4

For a spa, you need high flow rates, so you can not use too small of a filter.

Looks like you could add a 3-way in front of the pump to hook to the spa suction and then another after the filter/heater to go back to the spa.

But I would certainly check if it leaks before doing any plumbing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just fill it with water, have a submersible pump ready and waiting to dump water if needed?

My only problematic thought here is that if I fill it and there "is" a leak and I toss the pump in, should I dump it outside or in my pool? I'm just worried about how long it's been down and what could be in the underground plumbing that would be dumped in to my pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have no idea what precautions you need to take.
    Is the spa above or below those open pipes in the equipment room?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

The spa is below the open pipes in the room. (attached a picture) The room with the pipes is the open door with light on in the back right.

My only problematic thought here is that if I fill it and there "is" a leak and I toss the pump in, should I dump it outside or in my pool? I'm just worried about how long it's been down and what could be in the underground plumbing that would be dumped in to my pool, depending where the leak is I suppose the house too lol.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think I would drain it outside if you need to, although it would have very little impact on the pool if you dumped it there.
    Jason, TFP Moderator