Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When is the best time to add chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

When is the best time to add chlorine

I have setup a Stenner pump to inject bleach using my Aqualink. I can only program 2 times of day to run the pump. When are the best times of day to inject chlorine into the water? What are the consequences if the FC drops to below the min FC level per my CYA for a small duration during the injection windows? Is it possible to guarantee FC does not drop below min levels without going over the target FC when I inject?

Thanks
    39' x 18' IG 3.5X4.5X9 34k gallon w/ raised spa, 3 stone scupers
    Jandy 60 SqFt DE, Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy JXi400 heater, Jandy 2.0 EPump w/SVRS
    A&A Manufacturing ICS w/G4 venturi heads
    2 incandescent lights in pool, 1 in spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When is the best time to add chlorine

Well, its like this...if you add chlorine in the evening it gives more available FC to fight the cooties, because less chlorine is lost to the sun. BUT if that isn't an option, you can do it whenever you need. If you're dropping below the FC level for your CYA level, you need to increase the daily chlorine addition a couple ppm to cover for this so you don't ever go below. Are you sure of your CYA level with your own testing?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Are you sure of your CYA level with your own testing?
    Positive of the CYA. Wouldn't it be the opposite, as algae needs sunlight, and injected early/mid day to ensure there is plenty of FC when it is most sunny?

4. Back To Top    #4

No, there shouldn't be any algae for more than a moment, not long enough for sunlight to matter to the algae.

YippeeSkippy was correct, evening is best but any time is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds good enough to me!