Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which brand of telescoping poles do you recommend?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which brand of telescoping poles do you recommend?

Hi,

I came across what looks to be a really good pole....made by Skimlite....http://www.poolweb.com/Shop-On-Line/...ELESCOPIC-POLE, and then there are some made by Poolmaster (which is the brand my supply store carries). I'm thinking that the Skimlite is probably the better product, but is considerably more expensive. http://www.poolmaster.com/product/po...e-locking-cam/

Any recommendation either way?

Thanks,
    Keith
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which brand of telescoping poles do you recommend?

Hi Keith,
    Have you been to a local Home Depot/Lowes? I think they're much cheaper ($25). http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...3796253?<br />

Sorry I wouldn't spend $90 bucks on a pool pole. The cheap ones ($25) are pretty durable and light. You can even get the replacement collar if needed.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Bob. 90 bucks for a pool pole is very steep. Having said that, it did look like a quality piece. The Home Depot pole suits me fine.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Home Depot pole too. One thing about telescoping poles. The longer they are, which seems like it might be handy... the heavier they are. You'll surprised how much a light pool pole ways after you have been wagging it around for a while scooping out leaves.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

You can get that Skimlite for closer to $50
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies. One thing I didn't think about is what someone said in another forum- which is that the sun will destroy the plastic components in an outside lock. I know they make poles with elliptical (inside) locking mechanisms also - as long as it holds up. This whole thing is a bit ridiculous really - I HAVE a pole - a 16' that I've used for the past 25 years - solid as a rock - but unfortunately I just got a new fence around the pool and with the way the sections angle, I no longer have a 16' run where the pole can fit against!! That's the only reason why I'm thinking of getting a telescopic - I have about 8-10' straight run of fencing to put the pole against. I'd much rather use what I have, but I surely don't want to be carrying it back and forth to my storage garage before and after I use it each time!
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmmm. What about mounting it Vertical or at an angle.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Vertical mounting might look a bit odd....this 16' pole sticking up in the air. Thanks for the suggestion though...worth considering all options. Actually, I've often thought that telescoping might be nicer. I was always banging into the old fence with mine - being so long, and now with a new aluminum fence the last thing I'd want to do is be whacking into it and scratching it all up with the end of my long pole.

What kind of locking mechanism does the Home Depot pole have? Elliptical or outside?

9. Back To Top    #9

Outside. I've had one for 4 years in the sun, still works good as new.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    The cheap ones ($25) are pretty durable and light. You can even get the replacement collar if needed.
    Any idea where to get the replacement collar?
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
    Vertical mounting might look a bit odd....this 16' pole sticking up in the air....

Goofy 'ol me, I like the vertical idea. Stick a flag or a pennant on the end when ya put it away. I'd never get away with it, though. DW would eventually notice....
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    Any idea where to get the replacement collar?

I found this site:

http://www.poolmaster.com/?s=cam&post_type=product
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit