Building a Deck for an AGP.. Decking above ridge, below, level?

I did mine over based on what I saw happen to the top rail on a friends pool. The best word to use was "trashed". By the end of the second year, he had to swap two of them with others on the pool as the damage was so bad they became a safety hazzard

This deck and pool were here when we bought our home 3 years ago. We have loved the setup. We just drained the pool - to prepare for our inground pool. Here are a few shots of what it looks like.

17011123312_db663a2907_c.jpg
[/url]Old decking by misplaced_texan_usaf, on Flickr[/IMG]

16986568156_85dcdc3d1c_c.jpg

16826335299_a693987ca8_c.jpg

I went under by a couple inches to make it easier to remove top rails for liner replacement down the road. I'm also getting too dang old to be crawling under the pool deck to put the winter cover on!

The second portion of the deck will be a foot below top rail as I'll be attaching the deck to the garage n have a window to work around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the replies.. We are having a heck of a time deciding how to build ours.. We have a fence but once we build the deck we will be basically standing and looking right into our neighbors sun room where they always are.. Though about using the same fencing for the railing on that side but don't know how dumb it will look..

Argh..

Thanks for all the replies.. We are having a heck of a time deciding how to build ours.. We have a fence but once we build the deck we will be basically standing and looking right into our neighbors sun room where they always are.. Though about using the same fencing for the railing on that side but don't know how dumb it will look..

Argh..

This is why our main deck is not at fence level. I enjoy being able to be on the deck but not on display. The smaller upper deck was a nice addition that I added years later.

Argh..

Why don't you go half way. You could still sit on lounge chairs and see over the top of the pool and not be on display to your neighbor's. I don't know if You could do some plantings for privacy also?

Added a pool deck to the existing lower deck just for access. I kept below the top ledge just a bit for maintenance and winter cover etc. same as Casey. I did skirt the bottom of the new deck with a frame and lattice.
0828141718.jpg
0828141659.jpg0828141737.jpg

That's a nice little set up you've got there Mike!

I had the same problem, neighbors/road, could see over a regular privacy fence. This is what my husband came up with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 109
Overall it's 12 x 6. I did work the angle for the cutout around the pool and modified the step opening to make sure the stairs landed on the existing deck.
I can send you the plans and material calculator that I used if interested, just pm me an email address. The plans are a .pdf file.
Mike

0816140921.3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.