Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Building a Deck for an AGP.. Decking above ridge, below, level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Building a Deck for an AGP.. Decking above ridge, below, level?

I am going to be building a deck for my ABG this year.. Was curious as how everyone did their flooring.. Do people put the flooring above the pool ledge? Below it? Level with it?

Any replies are much appreciated!

Thanks
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Installed in 2015 - Hayward H200FDN Natural Guess Heater // K-2006 Test Kit
    Youngstown, OH 44514

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Building a Deck for an AGP.. Decking above ridge, below, level?

Here is how I did mine...

Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I would lean toward over. In case the pool settles, it is more likely to settle than the deck due to weight.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I did mine over based on what I saw happen to the top rail on a friends pool. The best word to use was "trashed". By the end of the second year, he had to swap two of them with others on the pool as the damage was so bad they became a safety hazzard
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

This deck and pool were here when we bought our home 3 years ago. We have loved the setup. We just drained the pool - to prepare for our inground pool. Here are a few shots of what it looks like.

[IMG]Old decking by misplaced_texan_usaf, on Flickr[/IMG]

~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

We did our deck last summer and went under the top rail. So far so good.
    27' x 54" AG Morada RTR/19,300 gal/ 1hp-2spd Hayward Power-Flo Matrix/Hayward 256T sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I went under by a couple inches to make it easier to remove top rails for liner replacement down the road. I'm also getting too dang old to be crawling under the pool deck to put the winter cover on!

The second portion of the deck will be a foot below top rail as I'll be attaching the deck to the garage n have a window to work around.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, there's a couple of good reasons for going under.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I am WAY under... I have enjoyed not standing "on the fence line" in my little yard and I don't need rails, except on my smaller upper deck.

but I have a higher deck also.

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

That's a good lookin rig you got goin there.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the replies.. We are having a heck of a time deciding how to build ours.. We have a fence but once we build the deck we will be basically standing and looking right into our neighbors sun room where they always are.. Though about using the same fencing for the railing on that side but don't know how dumb it will look..

Argh..
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Youngstown, OH 44514

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.. We are having a heck of a time deciding how to build ours.. We have a fence but once we build the deck we will be basically standing and looking right into our neighbors sun room where they always are.. Though about using the same fencing for the railing on that side but don't know how dumb it will look..

Argh..
    This is why our main deck is not at fence level. I enjoy being able to be on the deck but not on display. The smaller upper deck was a nice addition that I added years later.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post

Argh..
    Why don't you go half way. You could still sit on lounge chairs and see over the top of the pool and not be on display to your neighbor's. I don't know if You could do some plantings for privacy also?

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Added a pool deck to the existing lower deck just for access. I kept below the top ledge just a bit for maintenance and winter cover etc. same as Casey. I did skirt the bottom of the new deck with a frame and lattice.
    0828141718.jpg
    0828141659.jpg0828141737.jpg
    Mike F.

15' Above Ground Sharkline Matrix, Vinyl, 6,000 gal. Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter. TFT 50 Test Kit. Install 7/2014
    Raypack 150k BTU Natural Gas Heater installed 6-2016

15. Back To Top    #15

That's a nice little set up you've got there Mike!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Thanks Casey.
    I read your build blog when I got here last year. You are one tough cookie. Love how yours turned out and the umbrellas. What a view you have!
    How's my brother biker?
    Mike F.

15' Above Ground Sharkline Matrix, Vinyl, 6,000 gal. Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter. TFT 50 Test Kit. Install 7/2014

17. Back To Top    #17

I had the same problem, neighbors/road, could see over a regular privacy fence. This is what my husband came up with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by MJF54 View Post
    Added a pool deck to the existing lower deck just for access. I kept below the top ledge just a bit for maintenance and winter cover etc. same as Casey. I did skirt the bottom of the new deck with a frame and lattice.
    0828141718.jpg
    0828141659.jpg0828141737.jpg
    Can you tell me the dimensions / size of your upper deck? Thanks!

Youngstown, OH 44514

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Overall it's 12 x 6. I did work the angle for the cutout around the pool and modified the step opening to make sure the stairs landed on the existing deck.
    I can send you the plans and material calculator that I used if interested, just pm me an email address. The plans are a .pdf file.
    Mike

0816140921.3.jpg
    Mike F.