Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this okay?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this okay?

My pool was installed last year and being a virgin pool owner, I really didn't know what to look for while the installation happened. I was planning on opening the sand filter to do a hose clean before the season and saw this...
    It looks like they didn't use the right connections...shouldn't it be able to be unscrewed for maintenance?

filter.jpg
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Is this okay?

you are correct, there should be a screw on collar that attaches two premade parts together...0-ring sealed vs the silicone seal we see there. I'll try to find a pic.

there's pics of them here....more or less...mine screw onto those threads on the valve body itself. some other valve bodies don't have threads, that's when you see the mid pipe fittings.
    http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...nd_filter.aspx

the way they did yours may not be "wrong", but it is less than convenient.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

That is the normal way those connections are made. However, they did not provide you with separate unions, which are required to remove the multi-port valve. Unfortunately, leaving off the unions is quite common.

By the by, those are screwed in connections, they just used the inside threads, rather than the outside threads. But that doesn't help you because the way the plumbing works plumbing prevents you from unscrewing the connections regardless of which set of threads was used.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Unfortunately, that is not an unusual practice. Lots of folks have to cut the piping to be able to remove the multi-port valve. I can't see from your picture, but there is likely enough straight pipe somewhere near the valve to be able to cut it and then install a threaded union. It is relatively simple and the unions are fairly cheap and readily available at the big box stores.

Oops, Jason beat me to it. I had to add unions on mine to deep clean the sand. Adding the unions took less than a half hour and finished curing while I cleaned the sand.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone I thought it looked wrong. I bet they do it like that so owners are inclined to call them to service it when the filter needs to be cleaned.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Perhaps, but who knows!? Frustrating at best. Whoever did that....
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

The use of silicone in this manner baffles me
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The use of silicone in this manner baffles me
    I've seen that before. They used the silicone as a thread sealant, presumably because they happened to have some and didn't happen to have the correct thread sealant, or didn't know any better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh sure, I suppose it can work. But not the right tool for the job. I hate silicone since you can never ever remove it all.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

My Sand Filter Multi-Port is installed the same way. Although I can dis-assemble the Multi-Port from the Top, if an issue occurs with the valve body, I will need a hack saw
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine is like that too. And basically what Elwood58 said.

I knew it was not right the minute I saw it but the guy was definitely using what he had available AND he was not really prepared to deal with an Intex filter. Fortunately, I was able to unscrew the top to lube the gasket. When I need to replace the filter, I will definitely be required to do some serious re-plumbing but it's ok because I cannot imagine needing to mess with the filter for several years. When I do re-plumb, someone on the thread will have done it and I will just use their notes

- - - Updated - - -

One question. Does this approach ruin the threads on the filter? Once you cut the pipe, how do you get the coupler off the filter? Is it as simple as using a pipe wrench?
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    One question. Does this approach ruin the threads on the filter? Once you cut the pipe, how do you get the coupler off the filter? Is it as simple as using a pipe wrench?
    If it was just teflon paste/tape, then you would just use a wrench to unscrew it. But, the silicone sticks to both surfaces, if it is all up between all the threads, I think it might be pretty hard to break loose ... and you will never get it all out of the threads ... and the bits and pieces left in the threads might make it difficult to reseal ... and new silicone will not stick to old silicone ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I would say, very difficult, but not impossible, to remove.

14. Back To Top    #14

I am compelled to add a picture to this thread. I am so excited to know that I am not alone in this. I have been too ashamed to share many photos for this reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the responses. That is exactly what I thought.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

15. Back To Top    #15

Haha, at least you can unscrew yours....

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't think I can though. You can't see the silicone.

17. Back To Top    #17

The pool was installed less than a year ago, do you think I can go after the installer to correct this? This just seems really shoddy.

18. Back To Top    #18

No need for plumbing shame around here!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    The pool was installed less than a year ago, do you think I can go after the installer to correct this? This just seems really shoddy.
    They will most likely tell you that is the correct way to connect the filter, they have always done it that way, yada, yada, yada. I'm sure they will be happy to install unions for you for a fee, all the while telling you that you don't really need them.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!