Test Kit Opinion?

Sep 11, 2014
Oviedo, FL
Hi -

Built a pool over the winter in Central FL. I'd like to have my own baseline water numbers, outside of Pinch-a-Penny! So, looking for opinions/advice on a good test kit.

I know, I know - TFP is all about the tf-100, and it appears to be a fine kit...but how about Jacks Magic Professional Test Kit?

The tf-100 includes liquid reagents, while Jacks uses dissolvable tablets. What are the pluses/minuses to each kit?
Jacks kit is about 30bucks more than the tf-100. Not a bank-breaker IMO, so I dont really care about the cost.

I'm most concerned about accuracy, consistency, and ease-of-use....in that order!

Thanks!
Adam

Welcome Adam!

Based on your last sentence about your concerns, I'll make this easy.

The Taylor 2006 is a fine kit. The TF100 has the exact same reagents.

The TF100 is the better value for the dollar, but go with one of these if you want accuracy, not the ones with the pills.

Either will beat the Jacks on accuracy and consistency, and both have the FAS/DPD kit which is essential. After all, if you aren't buying a kit for accuracy and consistency, there really isn't much point is there?

The crucial problem with Jacks Magic Professional Test Kit is that it's chlorine test is based on DPD, and thus doesn't have anything near the range or precision of the FAS-DPD test included in all of the kits we recommend. I also disagree with Jack's about tablets being better. While it is true that tablets don't go bad as easily, they take longer to use and you can get incorrect results if they are not fully dissolved (which is an easy mistake to make).

The consistently more reliable/accurate/precise choices are all kits based on the Taylor liquid chemistry that include the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Of those, the TF100 is the best value, as it includes a balanced selection of the various reagents.

Being a nube, I bought the T 2006 based of of the reviews. It is very easy to use once you do it a couple of times. My 7 year old son loves testing the water and thinks the kit rocks.....I have to concur with his assessment :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.