The full story, which may or may not have any bearing on the title question. A couple weeks ago my SWG started throwing a code and was not producing chlorine. I was heading out for vacation in the next few days and couldn't deal with fixing it, so just supplemented manual chlorine (bleach) until I could. I turned the SWG from it's normal 20%, to about 60%, while troubleshooting, and left it at 60%. Water temp is low 70's. I had my pet-sitter throw in some chlorine while I was gone for 10 days. There were also thunderstorms while I was away but it doesn't appear (by clock settings) that I lost electricity. I came home to the pool water being fine (chlorine is high, around 12), BUT, the pump was not working! I don't know for how long. Pet-sitters can only be expected to know so much. It's hot/warm to the touch, so I turn everything off at the breakers, let it cool, then turn it back on and it HUMMMMSSS. Doesn't start, and cuts off the humming after about 10 seconds. So I research some threads here, check that the impeller moves freely (it does), and decide to change out the capacitor as the likely culprit. Get a capacitor, change it out (thanks for the threads on that! My first electric work!), and the pump works! Yay!
So when it turns on, the SWG beeps and throws its code, which I missed because I'm checking out the SWG unit. And I see a big burn/bulge on the 3-prong plug, in the middle. So, back to turn off at the breakers, then I unplug the burned plug and this is what I see:
Now I'm outta my league, so I called the Pool Repair Man, and he came over today and said I need to replace the whole unit, but since it's only a year or two old (I don't recall but they have the records) it's likely under warranty and they'll replace it for labor. Sounds like a deal to me, because I don't want to deal with it. But I'm wondering what happened, to make sure it doesn't happen again if it's preventable?
Thanks for your help, always.