A few last minute questions about our build before making final decisions

Dec 21, 2014
East TN
Hello all. Long time reader of the site. I have searched quite a bit but still have a few questions.

First, our plan is a 16x41x24 L-shaped liner pool with 8 foot deep end. We have three kids 10,8 and 4 and love to entertain. We have gotten three bids. We plan on doing salt, variable speed pump, LED lighting, and no diving board. All quotes included 2" plumbing, separate return plumbing, and main drains.

My questions are the following:

1) Vinyl over full length stairs...good or bad idea? We have had two builders recommend them and one insist that they will eventually be a problem due to the vinyl fit over the outside corners combined with friction which will cause the liner to prematurely fail. Is this really an issue? Fox has an interesting product which is sort of a PVC cap corner protector that goes over the stair corners but I'm not sure it's really an improvement. The stairs would take up some of our shallow end but I have heard many people rave about them saying that adults tend to congregate on them who don't want to get all the way in.

2) How many skimmers for an L and where to put them? I am thinking two both on the long wall of the L. What about number of returns for an L this size?

3) Jets in the stairs...good or bad? One builder says he worries about them because they can have a higher chance of leakage over time and are difficult to fix.

4) Heat pump vs. gas heater. We are in East TN so pretty warm overall and my wife likes warm water. It seems the heat pump is the better way to go since we want more constant heat vs just occasional bumps up. We may add this later.

Is it really worth $65-75K to do this with all the bells and whistles ie salt, VS pump, LED's, etc.?

Thanks so much for any help.

I can't really answer with too much experience but when Ive seen full length steps in a vinyl pool, and theyre all covered in vinyl it looks very nice. Is there some sort of padding one can put over the step, under the vinyl to avoid sharp edges to stairs? I bet there is?

Yay for the deep end!! That pool is gonna keep those kids home (with friends) for many years to come. Having your kids/teens playing at home is a good thing.

I have no experience with vinyl pools, so no help there. Price seems kinda high compared to Texas, but if you have three bids from reputable pool builders then that is the right process for that. And that is a pretty big pool.

For a pool that big I think two skimmers at least and situate them so they are downwind, especially during fall. But, don't underestimate the amount of junk that drops out of trees in spring. We were shocked the first year with our pool. We never noticed all that stuff before. So, one downwind in spring and one downwind in fall is handy. For us that is northeast and southeast.

I wouldn't want to do anything in a pool that the builder says can leak and is hard to fix.

I think you are on the right track with the heat pump.

Yes, it is definitely worth spending the money on great equipment. I love my VS pump and will never have a pool that isn't saltwater. That plus TFP makes for a good pool experience. That is a nice big pool and will be tons-o-fun!

I second the vinyl covered stairs. Makes it look much better.
Ours has a cushioning under the vinyl so it does make it softer to sit and walk on and also help protect some of the vinyl. Going into 3rd season and no issues so far and they are by far the most popular spot in the pool.

We have a return jet on the side right at our second stair to keep the water circulating in that area and prevent dead zones.

I don't understand why you would want vinyl over gunite? If your dropping that kind of cash, which is crazy compared to Texas, you could go gunite with a high end pebble tech finish etc. If the only benefit of vinyl is cost, then at that price point what is your reasoning?

Great replies. I think the cost seems higher because our cost includes a lot more concrete than usual and also we have to fence which is additional.

Here is a breakdown of cost so you can see where the cost comes in:

We hereby submit specifications and estimate for:

16x41x24 L shape Pool with 4' steps on the outside making pool a 16x41x28

includes: 20 mil. liner 8 ft steps, 2 lights, ladder, handrail, 1-1/2 pump, 300lb filter, sand, 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drain, 3 returns (2 side

walls and 1 step), and 550 sq ft of concrete $ 31,500.00 (everything it takes to make pool operational)

Upgrade to 16'x4' steel steps 4,000.00

Salt for Salt System 25 bags 250.00

Maintenance Kit, Pole, and Safety Rope 110.00

1000' sq ft of additional concrete 6,500.00 (add/deduct @ 6.50 sq ft)

Hayward Heat Pump 3,900.00

Tiger Shark QC (pool cleaner) 800.00 (I discounted 400.00 for one in my inventory, unused, 3yr warranty)

Safety Cover (includes installation) 2,450.00

2 Solar Cover 300.00

Pool Alarm 350.00

Electrical Allowance for new service 2,000.00

Upgrade to cartridge filter c4030 1,150.00

Upgrade to Eco Star Variable Speed Pump 1,450.00

2 Color Logic Lights w/transformers 1,550.00

Fencing Allowance 8000.00

Pro Logic PS-8 System & Salt T-Cell 3,785.00

Wireless Base (wifi) 376.81

Waterproof wireless handheld remote 910.00

or

New! Omni Logic & Salt TCell 4,975.00 (no remote needed, control pool will iphone, ipad, etc!)

I would have a talk with the pool builder about some of these prices. Some of the costs I can't comment on because I don't know the specifics. If you are ok with them, no worries, but much of the equipment and charges are severely marked up. I know this isn't what you want to read/hear - but maybe this will give you some leverage and negotiating power prior to signing the final contract.

Great replies. I think the cost seems higher because our cost includes a lot more concrete than usual and also we have to fence which is additional.

Here is a breakdown of cost so you can see where the cost comes in:

We hereby submit specifications and estimate for:

16x41x24 L shape Pool with 4' steps on the outside making pool a 16x41x28

includes: 20 mil. liner 8 ft steps, 2 lights, ladder, handrail, 1-1/2 pump, 300lb filter, sand, 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drain, 3 returns (2 side

walls and 1 step), and 550 sq ft of concrete $ 31,500.00 (everything it takes to make pool operational)

Upgrade to 16'x4' steel steps 4,000.00

Salt for Salt System 25 bags 250.00
Can get at Home Depot for about half that price
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Morton-Salt-40-lb-Pool-Salt-3460/100575298

Maintenance Kit, Pole, and Safety Rope 110.00

1000' sq ft of additional concrete 6,500.00 (add/deduct @ 6.50 sq ft)
What kind of concrete? Colored, cool deck, etc?

Hayward Heat Pump 3,900.00
Will they give you the model number of the heat pump? Here's a solid Hayward heat pump for about $900 cheaper. Need to know the model number to compare apples to apples.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Hayw...m-Digital-Pool-and-Spa-Heat-Pump/HP21404T.htm

Tiger Shark QC (pool cleaner) 800.00 (I discounted 400.00 for one in my inventory, unused, 3yr warranty)
Good price. Cheapest I found online was $819.
http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/...eaner/7912p1?gclid=CJSiwLnV4sQCFYOSfgodsp4Atg

Safety Cover (includes installation) 2,450.00

2 Solar Cover 300.00

Pool Alarm 350.00

Electrical Allowance for new service 2,000.00

Upgrade to cartridge filter c4030 1,150.00
Upgrade cost means they are charging you $1,150 + the original filter cost. Here it is for $750 shipped, total.
http://www.sunplay.com/hayward-swimclear-cartridge-filter-c4030?gclid=CJez_t3V4sQCFZGTfgodaoIARQ

Upgrade to Eco Star Variable Speed Pump 1,450.00
Again, upgrade implies additional cost to a lower model pump. $930 shipped
http://www.sunplay.com/hayward-ecostar-pump-sp3400vsp?gclid=CNqcqOfW4sQCFdCTfgod6WYAIA

2 Color Logic Lights w/transformers 1,550.00
Colorlogic LED lights $500 each
http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hy...7SLED50.html?gclid=CLrut9XY4sQCFcGVfgodVhEAjw

Fencing Allowance 8000.00

Pro Logic PS-8 System & Salt T-Cell 3,785.00
Would need all the products included in this package to evaluate.

Wireless Base (wifi) 376.81

Waterproof wireless handheld remote 910.00

or

New! Omni Logic & Salt TCell 4,975.00 (no remote needed, control pool will iphone, ipad, etc!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.