Old Pool, New Water - What to do?

If you want to adjust the TA first just go ahead and add some (130? oz) baking soda and then do the pH and SLAM. The muriatic acid itself shouldn't affect the TA that much.

So I've got everything hooked up and put stabilizer in a skimmer sock and I'm trying to adjust TA and PH. PH looks to be off the roof 8.2+. Based on test results I put in 127oz baking soda to increase TA to around 70 and put in 17oz muriatic acid to lower ph to around 7.2ish. After waiting an hour, I see no change in either.... Any suggestions?

Update: I'll increase muriatic acid to 32oz. I didn't calculate for the increase of TA to 70. Just tested the water again and it's at 70 TA now.

You only need to give it 30 minutes to mix. When it's reading up in the eights it could be 8.2 or 8.7, 9.2 ... You treat it for the 8.2 and hope it comes down but if not it's just that high so you do it again until it comes down into the 7's where you can actually read it.

So I've got everything hooked up and put stabilizer in a skimmer sock and I'm trying to adjust TA and PH. PH looks to be off the roof 8.2+. Based on test results I put in 127oz baking soda to increase TA to around 70 and put in 17oz muriatic acid to lower ph to around 7.2ish. After waiting an hour, I see no change in either.... Any suggestions?

Update: I'll increase muriatic acid to 32oz. I didn't calculate for the increase of TA to 70. Just tested the water again and it's at 70 TA now.
What is the FC level now? If it's above 10, your pH will read falsely high.

Okay, so an update: After the first half hour, I only lost .5 FC. I was a bit high at 12.5 FC for my shock so it only lowered it to 12. I left it for another 30 mins and checked, FC was at 11. I added 20oz bleach to raise back up to 12. After another hour, the FC is still 12 and CC is 1. It's killing off stuff but it doesnt seem to be consuming FC that fast. The water is a cloudy grey which is good. Visibility is only 2-3 inches with a flash light. It's dark outside :) I guess I'll continue this until I goto sleep and recheck in the morning before work. I just hope it doesn't get to outta control being gone for 10 hours since the stabilizer hasn't totally dissolved yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it looks a bit better this morning. The FC tested at 10 after 7 hours, so I raised it back to 12.

The CYA stabilizer is almost dissolved already. Is it normal to dissolve that fast? I thought it would take a week.

I got some wall cleaning to do above the waterline, but that will have to wait until tonight.

22256dc68453644fe241cf2411b7502b.jpg

I do too. I have them pushed a bit from the edge so I can hopefully brush back there. I hate them tbh. They are not solid so algae will cling under the steps too which are impossible to reach. The only way is to remove them which is difficult as well because they are anchored with sealed milkjugs of sand/cement.

With 8 gallons you are just starting.

Every pool is different. It depends on:
-how often you are able to have the water at SLAM level?
-how often are you brushing the pool?
-Have you been running the pump 24/7?
-is your bleach fresh?
-just how bad was your pool?

Some pools clear up in a week. Some take weekS. It all depends on the conditions.

I wish I could give you a better time line.

Keep it up and it will clear up. Take a pic of your steps each day. You will be able to see the progress that way. Each day should be a little clearer if you are on top of the SLAM. Of course brushing will "cloudy" it back up but it is helpful to filter the stuff out.

Kim

Hello again everyone!

So it's been a little over a month long and the water is clear to the eye. However, I am still having to add a gallon of bleach everyday. I've noticed there isn't a huge change within an hour or 3 hours, so just leaving it alone for 24 hours, FC goes from 12 to 5. I am going to do a overnight test tonight (if I remember to test in the morning), but could the sun alone consume 7 FC? My CYA is 40 but the pool is in direct hot TN sunlight from 6am to 8pm everyday. Water temp is almost 80.

I see the OCLT and the water sure looks clear. CC is still .5 or less?

50 is a respectable target for CYA. Anywhere from 40-50 should be acceptable. Leave yourself a little breathing room so you can use pucks in a floater if you want to leave town for a few days this summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.