Pool Store Advice

Foo Fighters

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 6, 2011
Southern Nevada
Did a straight-up drain and refill this week, no acid wash. The pool store guy actually talked me out of getting CYA, walked out with liquid chlorine and MA only. He said that since we didn't acid wash, the CYA is sticking to the walls, pipes, filter, etc and I should be fine. :confused: I've never read anything like that on the forum. Have you ever heard of this?

well,
if you pour the CYA directly into the skimmer, something like that might have the smallest of chance of happening. I know for a fact pouring directly in the skimmer can clog the filter and become a mess because it just dissolves so slowly. Ive never actually heard of it sticking to the sides of the pipes and walls though. That seems kind of a far fetched tale to me.

But pouring it into the skimmer is not the proper way to add CYA.

The proper way is to put it in a old sock and toss it in the skimmer to dissolve. Give it a squeeze now and then to help it along.
Repeat as necessary until all you need is added.

Of course you could always fill up the pool and then run a test on the water if you do not believe us ... you have one of the recommended test kits already.

For giggles (because that is all it is worth), you could take your new water in and have them test for CYA ... then ask him to explain why it is 0 when he said it would have stuck around.

Of course you could always fill up the pool and then run a test on the water if you do not believe us ... you have one of the recommended test kits already.

For giggles (because that is all it is worth), you could take your new water in and have them test for CYA ... then ask him to explain why it is 0 when he said it would have stuck around.

Hmmm...not a bad idea lol! I have to go back in a few days to get some liquid Cl they have on sale, I will do exactly as you recommend and see what they say.

...But pouring it into the skimmer is not the proper way to add CYA.

The proper way is to put it in a old sock and toss it in the skimmer to dissolve. Give it a squeeze now and then to help it along.
Repeat as necessary until all you need is added.

Interesting. When we had our pool installed in 2004 we were told to sprinkle CYA in the skimmer (should look like a snow flurry, NOT just dumped in). After 10 years I've never had a problem using this method. The filter pressure doesn't even increase, even when adding enough CYA to go from 0 to 80ppm.

I suppose the sock method is preferred to be on the safe side for those inclined to just want to dump it in?

That and then you know when it is dissolved. The flow rate in the filter is a lot slower so it may take longer to dissolve, and you are forced into not cleaning your filter for awhile so you don't lose some that is not dissolved yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That and then you know when it is dissolved. The flow rate in the filter is a lot slower so it may take longer to dissolve, and you are forced into not cleaning your filter for awhile so you don't lose some that is not dissolved yet.

Good points.

I usually only have to backwash once during the season (some seasons I've gone the entire season without needing to backwash), so loss of CYA from backwashing hasn't been a problem. Btw, I noticed from your signature we have the same filter. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.