WaterColors LED lights vs standard 500w

We have one 500w light. Don't use it much because most of the time it will attract lots-o-bugs to the pool. We prefer to have the lights on away from the pool to light the area but keep the bugs away. At this point we would still install a 500w light just to have it, but wouldn't spend any money to upgrade.

The colored LEDs are not as bright as the white halogens ... especially the reds.

I put a color changing bulb in my fixture after the white light died. I only have 1 light and a long pool so the red barely reaches about half way through the pool.

Not sure what your actual question is though.

LEDs produce far less light, and you might need 2 lights to illuminate whole pool where 500W will illuminate whole pool. Other thought, is that for most people, the only color that they use is blue. Yellow looks like urine. Green looks like algae. Red looks like Blood. The blue color really makes a nice white like color in the pool.

What is the size of the pool?

We like to have the lights out when using the spa at night to enjoy the night sky. We only turn on the lights when there are kids swimming in the pool or for parties.

The builder gave us colored covers that makes the water turn colors. Blue was the nicest for the pool but the little ones like to swim in green slim, or red blood although the red was more pink than red.

Even though we don't use the lights all that much, I would install LED's instead of the standard lights on another pool build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have 40x20 oval, with 500W in the deep end under the diving board area. Pools lights up just fine with the single light.

Honestly more important than light in the pool is light around the pool. My PB gave me a tip that I cannot recommend enough. I have a couple of halogen spotlights that shine down on the pool area. He suggested buying blue bulbs rather than teh traditional halogen bulbs. As it turns out, this is a great idea. The lights is much softer, attracts far fewer bugs, and is not overpowering, so you can leave them on and not feel like you are on stage with a spotlight on you

Yev - when you say the spotlights shine down on the pool area - where are they located? Up high? Like near the seating area - and just pointed on the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.