Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High PH

1. Back To Top    #1

High PH

I noticed my water was cloudy today so I added some bleach. When I ran the full test this is the result:

PH 8.0
    FC: 11.5
    CC: 0.5
    CH: 300
    TA:120
    CYA:55

I was planning on trying to lower the PH. Is this the correct first step?

Tim
    Ft. Myers, Florida

15,000 gallon IG pebble, cartridge filter, SWG open year round, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High PH

Hold off just for the moment...You may be showing false high with 11.5 FC
    What's the FC been the last 4-5 days?

Once you answer, we will go from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

The pH test will read a false high when the FC > 10ppm.

The correct steps are laid out in the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. Lower the pH first and then raise the FC to shock level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I added the shock this morning that raised the FC. So I need to wait until FC drops to 10 and retest ph? FC was 5-6 the last couple of days.
    Ft. Myers, Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the FC should drop first to make sure you get a good pH reading.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Let it ride today, see if FC is below 10 tonight or in the morning. Re check pH then.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, our guests left so now I can get back to fixing the pool chemistry. I did not want to start a SLAM and be unable to use the pool. Here is what I tested this morning:

FC: 3.0
    CC: 0.5
    PH: 7.9
    CYA: 40

I assume the TA and CH have not changed from last week- I did not retest them today. We have spa jets with a blower in the pool that probably has been raising PH. Also, I have been having a hard time keeping CYA up the last few months. The water clarity improved some since I added the bleach but it is still not clear. Should I lower PH then start a SLAM?

Tim
    Ft. Myers, Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, add enough with pool math to get down to 7.2-7.3, and begin the SLAM.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

I did the pool math calc, added the acid and measured ph an hour later and got 6.8! I was ready to start the slam but now I am not sure I should. It was 8.0 imo before so I don't know if I misread it or the pool is smaller than I thought. What should I do now?

Ft. Myers, Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you have your TA set correctly in PoolMath? How much acid did you add?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by timinswfl View Post
    I did the pool math calc, added the acid and measured ph an hour later and got 6.8! I was ready to start the slam but now I am not sure I should. It was 8.0 imo before so I don't know if I misread it or the pool is smaller than I thought. What should I do now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just SLAM it. Your TA is high enough that the pH should bounce back up in a hurry anyway. And the longer you play around trying to fix everything else, the more the algae in the water will grow. Kill it. All of it. Now. Fix the rest later.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I put in 3 qts. Redoing the calc it looks like it should have been 3 cups. Oops. Still ok to start the slam?

Ft. Myers, Florida

13. Back To Top    #13

3 qts? 12 cups ... so 4 times what you should have added?

Luckily it looks like you were targeting 7.5, so it only should have dropped you down to about 6.8 ... yeah you should be fine to start SLAMing. The added bleach will temporarily raise the pH some ... and the TA is going to make it rise anyway
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

ok, I am back on the computer where I did the poolmath calc and I didn't mess up. 15000 gal, PH now 8.0, target 7.25, TA 120 and it does say 3 quarts. So I don't think I am that far off. Not sure why it was showing 3 cups on the ipad. Anyway I am adding 2 quarts bleach to start SLAM. Sorry for the confusion.
    Ft. Myers, Florida

15. Back To Top    #15

Oh, what is your acid strength set at? maybe that is the difference
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

I had the acid correct at 31.45%. When I checked it on the ipad I did not put all of the numbers (TA etc) and didn't realize that other things affected the ph calc. When I put all of the numbers in they match at 3 (corrected-->) quarts. I started SLAMing last night, will post an update in a few days when it is complete.
    Ft. Myers, Florida

17. Back To Top    #17

I've had this happen twice on new fills..... Initial test report 8.0+ and Pool Math says add 53 oz. of MA for pH of 7.2. Next test indicates 7.0-. WTH?

Last time this happened was about a week ago and it took 4.75# of Borax to get back to 7.4! If you do the Pool Math, it doesn't make sense.

Bottom line, I guess, is to dose using successive approximation rather than blind faith in having all of the variables covered....

18. Back To Top    #18

One question on the SLAM- I have a spa inside the pool with 3 jets. I was thinking I probably should run the water through the spa pipes some (and maybe turn on the blower). How long should I run the shock level water through the jets? I set the timer for 15 minutes a day but I am not sure if that is enough.

- - - Updated - - -

ewkearns- yeah I guess I should have went with half of the suggested amount and retest. Too late now, cannot fix until the SLAM is over. My concern is if it is really lower than 6.8, will that cause an issue with the pool if I wait until after the SLAM to fix?
    Ft. Myers, Florida

19. Back To Top    #19

I have completed the SLAM (actually a couple of weeks ago but had some other issues to deal with). I retested the following today and still have a high Ph:

PH 8.2
    FC: 4.0
    CC: 0.0
    CYA: 40

I did not retest CH and TA and assume they are still 300 and 120. I am guessing I should work on pH first and then CYA? Water is clear.

Tim
    Ft. Myers, Florida

20. Back To Top    #20

Definitely get that pH back into range. Raising the CYA should allow your SWG to work less ... and thus maybe slow the pH rise in turn.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast