Mesh Safety Fence NOT approved in City of Los Angeles?

Jun 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
So it seems the City of LA will not approve any of the removeable type mesh safety fences for a swimming pool. There are a couple of companies (Guardian is one) that have come up with systems that are approved. They have created a deck sleeve which then bolts to the upright pole, so it is not longer a removable fence.

I spoke with a City engineer who says the removable fences are not approved. They somehow, don't ask me how, reply on this municipal code section:

91.3109.4.1. Barrier Height and Clearances. For residential swimming pools, the top of the barrier shall be at least 60 inches (1524 mm) above grade measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the swimming pool. The maximum vertical clearance between grade and the bottom of the barrier shall be two inches (51 mm) measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the swimming pool. Where the top of the pool structure is above grade, the barrier is permitted to be mounted on top of the pool structure, provided the maximum vertical clearance between the top of the pool structure and the bottom of the barrier shall be four inches (102 mm), or at grade level.

He made a poor attempt to explain it to me. I say poor, because it doesn't say anything about it being permanent in this section. The problem is fighting the city is always a chore and takes a lot of time which most of us usually don't have.

Does anyone know of other cities where the removable type mesh fencing doesn't meet code? OTOH, does your city/county allow the removable fencing. This is a new pool build.

thanks

That is a fairly common requirement. I think of it as going with a requirement for a locking gate, rather than the paragraph you quoted. If the gate is required to lock, then a removable fence has to also be "locked" somehow and not just pull up out of the ground.

If your back yard is fenced and you have a self-closing locked gate, why do you need anything else?

If I wrote that my back yard is fenced and I have a self closing locked gate in the initial post I apologize. I do not have that situation.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I referred the city engineer to CBC 3109.4.4.2 and now they think the removable fence is acceptable. For the number of pools that get built and exist in the City of LA it's surprising they don't know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.