Old pool pump.. dead.. new suggestions?

csj80

Jun 24, 2012
Montgomery, AL
Hello all..
A couple of weeks ago I went out to turn on my pool pump to start cleaning the pool up.(I left pump off all winter) When I turned it on, all I got was a low humming noise. I have taken the pump apart, cleaned all debris I could from impeller and tried to manually "turn" impeller with that large screw in the end of pump and it will not budge.

I have read a few different things saying it's dead if I can't turn impeller. I am a complete newbie when dealing with pumps/motors but I am not afraid of DIY projects. The pump is at least 7 years old(came with the pool/house when we bought it) It is a Speck E91-II. Is it worth trying to repair myself or do I need to invest in a new one? If I need a new one, what would be a suitable replacement? (It has a "hi" and "low" speed, not sure if I actually need that though)

I live in Montgomery, AL and the pool is 24' round and 4' deep. I have been using a SWG last couple of years.

Thanks for reading and all information given!

Attachments

• 20150331_171953.jpg
    20150331_171953.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20150331_171947.jpg
    20150331_171947.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 97
Im afraid Im not much of help for above ground pump and Im sure someone will be along shortly to help you.

But I would like to say, you definitely should stay with at least a 2 speed as you have now.
Running on low speed will mean a LOT less electricy and low speed is just fine to keep your pool water filtered.

The high speed would be used mostly for vacuuming and mixing chemicals into the water.

Sorry I couldnt offer more adivce.

The fact that you can not turn the motor means that it is not just a capacitor that needs replaced. Seems like the bearings must be seized up, which is a good bit more work to fix.

I would suggest just getting a similar 2-speed motor and put it back on your existing pump. Get a set of seals while you are at it, definitely need the shaft seal at least.

Were you running the pump on low speed for filtering and then just bumping up to high for vacuuming or backwashing?

Yes, I was running pump on low speed for filter and rarely turned on high speed. "Get a set of seals/ shaft seal" Are these all standard or different sizes/types? Is there a certain brand or type I should be looking for as far as the motor? Any to avoid?
Thanks all for information.

Ok, so I found a pump for what I thought was a good price but now I am having trouble with connecting the pump to my plumbing. (I feel like such a frustrated idiot) Is there a way(adapter or similar) I can use the unions from my old pump with new one (New one is Hayward: powerflo matrix) to connect the "in" and "out" hoses/pipes? Here are a few pictures that I thought would help. I am a total novice at any type of plumbing/fittings. Thanks for any and all help or Info you may have for me! (The union is just a Tab bit small to screw on to the new pump)

Attachments

• spk_union_dscntd.jpg
    spk_union_dscntd.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 34
  • hayw.jpg
    hayw.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 34
  • spk_union_cntd.jpg
    spk_union_cntd.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 34
Manufacturers seem to use proprietary unions ... so not surprised the old ones will not fit. Plus I am sure the inlet and outlet are not in the same locations anyway.

You can just use a male threaded fitting into the pump and then add a regular union in the pipe if desired ... or you may be able to find a set of the Hayward unions that would fit the pump directly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might not be able to get what you need at a big box store. The selection of 1.5 inch at my local stores is pretty limited and 2" is really hard to find. For the fittings right at the pump they usually are something that are different and proprietary from one manufacturer to another. That's where you might need to do your shopping on line at a pool supply company.
I know my new to me Hayward leaked from day one because whoever installed it tried to use a regular PVC fitting at the pump and the Hayward wanted one of it's own O ring fittings. The Hayward fitting solved the constant slow leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.