Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old pool pump.. dead.. new suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Old pool pump.. dead.. new suggestions?

Hello all..
    A couple of weeks ago I went out to turn on my pool pump to start cleaning the pool up.(I left pump off all winter) When I turned it on, all I got was a low humming noise. I have taken the pump apart, cleaned all debris I could from impeller and tried to manually "turn" impeller with that large screw in the end of pump and it will not budge.

I have read a few different things saying it's dead if I can't turn impeller. I am a complete newbie when dealing with pumps/motors but I am not afraid of DIY projects. The pump is at least 7 years old(came with the pool/house when we bought it) It is a Speck E91-II. Is it worth trying to repair myself or do I need to invest in a new one? If I need a new one, what would be a suitable replacement? (It has a "hi" and "low" speed, not sure if I actually need that though)

I live in Montgomery, AL and the pool is 24' round and 4' deep. I have been using a SWG last couple of years.

Thanks for reading and all information given!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' Round AGP - 13500
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix
    SWG
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old pool pump.. dead.. new suggestions?

Im afraid Im not much of help for above ground pump and Im sure someone will be along shortly to help you.

But I would like to say, you definitely should stay with at least a 2 speed as you have now.
    Running on low speed will mean a LOT less electricy and low speed is just fine to keep your pool water filtered.

The high speed would be used mostly for vacuuming and mixing chemicals into the water.

Sorry I couldnt offer more adivce.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you searched, pump buzzing? This thread might be helpful

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-does-not-pump
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

The fact that you can not turn the motor means that it is not just a capacitor that needs replaced. Seems like the bearings must be seized up, which is a good bit more work to fix.

I would suggest just getting a similar 2-speed motor and put it back on your existing pump. Get a set of seals while you are at it, definitely need the shaft seal at least.

Were you running the pump on low speed for filtering and then just bumping up to high for vacuuming or backwashing?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I was running pump on low speed for filter and rarely turned on high speed. "Get a set of seals/ shaft seal" Are these all standard or different sizes/types? Is there a certain brand or type I should be looking for as far as the motor? Any to avoid?
    Thanks all for information.
    24' Round AGP - 13500
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix
    SWG
    Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Seal kits are a function of you pump model. You should be able to search for the equivalent of you exiting motor. I am not aware of good or bad brands.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, so I found a pump for what I thought was a good price but now I am having trouble with connecting the pump to my plumbing. (I feel like such a frustrated idiot) Is there a way(adapter or similar) I can use the unions from my old pump with new one (New one is Hayward: powerflo matrix) to connect the "in" and "out" hoses/pipes? Here are a few pictures that I thought would help. I am a total novice at any type of plumbing/fittings. Thanks for any and all help or Info you may have for me! (The union is just a Tab bit small to screw on to the new pump)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' Round AGP - 13500
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix
    SWG
    Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

You should be able to make something work at Home Depot's pvc pipe section.
    11,000 gal Fiberglass IG, Jacuzzi sand filter, Pentair Superflo 1.5hp 2speed pump, Hayward AQR15, Maytronics Active20, K-2006 kit, K1766, SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Manufacturers seem to use proprietary unions ... so not surprised the old ones will not fit. Plus I am sure the inlet and outlet are not in the same locations anyway.

You can just use a male threaded fitting into the pump and then add a regular union in the pipe if desired ... or you may be able to find a set of the Hayward unions that would fit the pump directly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Nothing to add, just wanted to say nice to see someone on TFP from Montgomery
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

You might not be able to get what you need at a big box store. The selection of 1.5 inch at my local stores is pretty limited and 2" is really hard to find. For the fittings right at the pump they usually are something that are different and proprietary from one manufacturer to another. That's where you might need to do your shopping on line at a pool supply company.
    I know my new to me Hayward leaked from day one because whoever installed it tried to use a regular PVC fitting at the pump and the Hayward wanted one of it's own O ring fittings. The Hayward fitting solved the constant slow leak.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!