Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pentair rainbow autochlorinator not working?

1. Back To Top    #1

pentair rainbow autochlorinator not working?

I have loaded the chamber with chlorine tablets and have set the setting on the unit to the highest yet I am not building up any FC. I checked the chamber and it doesn't appear that water is circulating through the chamber. Could the flow valve be clogged? How can I check? Thanks.

Tom
    Dec 2015 fill date IG plaster pool, 8000 gals. Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair filter 1 Hp pump, Pentair Legend cleaner, Pentair Easy Touch Control Center, and TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pentair rainbow autochlorinator not working?

Not sure how to address your problem other than to highly recommend you stop using the tablets unless you understand exactly all the things they are doing to your water.

They are not a good solution in area where there is little rain fall and you do not partially drain for the winter.

Since the pool is still pretty new, you might not have gotten the CYA out of control yet. Are you tracking the number of tablets you use and how quickly your CYA is rising?

Have you read these in Pool School?:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not familiar with the unit, but you might check this link:

Pentair Rainbow 300 Chlorinator Tips & Troubleshooting

That being said, most of us here tend to shy away from dichlor/trichlor tablets, and for good reason. Long story short, tablets contain cyanuric acid (CYA). The CYA addition to pool water via the tablets is cumulative. The higher the CYA content in the pool, the greater the free chlorine (FC) requirements are. This is all covered in great detail in the links jblizzle provided.

Most of the posters here maintain their FC levels either manually with liquid chlorine (aka bleach) or via a salt water chlorine generator.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

There is a screen in the bottom that tends to get clogged. Take it apart and see what you can figure out.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

pentair rainbow autochlorinator not working?

I have the same issue with chlorine level not rising. I don't plan to switch to liquid or other methods. I paid for a chlorinator and want it to work. Service crew apparently came out today and moved the valve adjuster to the top of the chlorinator and plugged the bottom one. Not real sure what that will accomplish.. Have you taken the line off to see if it's clear? If you turn the pump on no water enters after increasing the valve? They thought since I was on a lower speed most of the time it wasn't enough volume. Do you have a variable speed pump? I just put a puck in each skimmer this weekend for a bit. I'll call them tomorrow to see what they found, maybe it'll help you also.

19K gallon free-formed w/ 60% Color Quartz plaster
    3.5' x 5.5' x 4' depths - 15' x 20' 15' widths - 12" oval raised spa with spillover
    Hayward 1.85 hp TriStar VS Pool & 1.25 hp water feature pump - Cartridge Filter
    Hayward OnCommand automation system - 400K BTU heater - LED lights for pool & spa
    20' weeping moss rock wall - 5' x 8' tanning ledge with bubbler

6. Back To Top    #6

One thing to remember is you are supposed to allow water to flow into the chlorinator with the cap off then put the cap on as the water flows above the pucks.

3.5' x 5.5' x 4' depths - 15' x 20' 15' widths - 12" oval raised spa with spillover
    Hayward OnCommand automation system - 400K BTU heater - LED lights for pool & spa

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Keithb View Post
    I have the same issue with chlorine level not rising. I don't plan to switch to liquid or other methods. I paid for a chlorinator and want it to work. Service crew apparently came out today and moved the valve adjuster to the top of the chlorinator and plugged the bottom one. Not real sure what that will accomplish.. Have you taken the line off to see if it's clear? If you turn the pump on no water enters after increasing the valve? They thought since I was on a lower speed most of the time it wasn't enough volume. Do you have a variable speed pump? I just put a puck in each skimmer this weekend for a bit. I'll call them tomorrow to see what they found, maybe it'll help you also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk flingin arras
    Using tablets in Texas is a really bad idea. The chlorinator is a sunk cost, don't let yourself cost you more problems in the future.

Btw, never put tablets in your skimmer unless you are running they pump 24/7 and running the pump that much is rarely needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I can't figure the mentality out. My co-worker has used pucks since his pool was new 12 years ago and levels are normal with no problems.

9. Back To Top    #9

Guess he is lucky, or has a different definition of "normal". The stabilizer will build up and if you do not replace a lot of water each year, the required chlorine level to keep the pool safe will also go up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to the Forum Tom!

Pucks are ok for a while, and occasionaly, but pretty soon you will want a good test on the Cya to find out what it is and keep track of it.

When they add enough Cya (stabilizer) to the pool and the FC dips too low, that's when you'll have problems.

Tom, there is a new post Right Here that shows you why we have the mentality that we do about the use of inline Chlorine as the sole source of FC. Eventually, they become a problem. If you stay on the forum during the upcoming season, you will see many, many more with the same circumstances.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

I talked to the tech and he said on VS pumps they move the valve to the top of the chlorinator to get more flow. My chlorine has now jumped to 3-4 and holding with the valve turned to 4.

12. Back To Top    #12

But the more important question ... What is your CYA?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Check your CYA and then check this chart, Chlorine CYA Chart. As CYA goes up chlorine has to go up too. Once you get to CYA level of 100 you have to maintain chlorine at 12ppm. After that you have to start draining your pool and refilling to reduce the CYA level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

My CYA was 40. I was told to pull your sample straight from a return to see what chlorine, if any, was being disbursed. That should help determine if any chlorine is leaving the chlorinator.