Overshot FC - by a LOT

Jun 19, 2014
Edmond, Oklahoma
I still consider myself a newbie here. This is my second season with a pool, but the first time we've opened it by ourselves.

Before you read any further, rest assured NOBODY is swimming in the water described below. Too cold anyway. And I definitely won't let anyone in until the FC is down to acceptable levels.

In ground pool with SWG. Closing went off without a hitch last fall. Brought my chlorine level up and drained to about a foot below the return jets. Even got some non-metal algaecide in before installing the cover.

When I pulled the cover off this past weekend, I was a little shocked, but not too bad. There was a light coat of algae on one of the top steps where it had been sitting mainly in rain water. Also, there was a little algae in the skimmer basket.

Where I think I made the mistake is treating while filling, before running any tests. I based some of my treatment on the presence of that algae, and the fact that I was filling with new well water (about half the volume of the pool), and the fact that the starting water level was several inches higher than I remembered at closing (rain and snow over the winter).

As I was filling, I used 2 small 96 ounce jugs of bleach on the steps and the skimmer basket to kill the visible algae.

I also added 2 1-lb packages of trichlor (I figured I was OK with the extra CYA as I was adding a large volume of well water and will need to re-balance my CYA anyway).

The kicker, was using my SWG's "SuperChlor" cycle. This runs my pump with my SWG at 100% for 24 hours. When I got home from work last night, I knew I had some vacuuming to do, as our mesh cover allows some fine dirt through. So I had a good deal of clean up to do on the pool floor.

I'd completely forgotten how efficient my new SWG is. I took just a FC/CC reading prior to vacuuming. To my surprise, I was at:
FC - 33.5
CC - 0.5

The good news is my water was crystal clear except for the fine dirt I needed to pick up. Which is gone.

I ran my pump/SWG from noon to 4p today (hottest part of the day) with the SWG at 50% output, hoping the small runtime and reduced output would allow my FC to start dropping. Unfortunately, the reading I just took is:
FC - 34
CC - 0.5

I'm trying to figure the best way to get my FC down without just shutting everything down for a few days. I still want to run the pump at least 4 hrs a day to turn the water over and keep a handle on debris.

I just set it to continue to run 12-4 but with my SWG output at 25%. Or should I just turn the SWG down to 0-5% for a couple of days and just test daily until it gets in the range I want it, then start walking it back up a few % at a time until I am maintaining?

I am fine with the fact that I seemed to have started off the year with the algae under control. I just want to get my FC down before it harms any of my equipment.

What is your CYA level? That could be anywhere from dangerous to nothing special depending on your CYA level.

Turn the SWG down to zero until the FC level comes down to something a little more reasonable. And then try it at about 10% and see how things go.

I haven't checked CYA yet as I had 2 questions about that:
1. Any CYA that was in there last fall, will that still be in the water that was left behind by draining?
2. The trichlor went in on Sunday. Today is Tuesday, so that CYA won't register yet, will it?

What is your CYA level? That could be anywhere from dangerous to nothing special depending on your CYA level.
Yup. We can not offer any option or path forward without full test results.

Hopefully you did not damage your liner too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the old CYA should still be there. Correct the new trichlor may not show up on the test ... although you could use PoolMath to calculate what is should have added.

I haven't checked CYA yet as I had 2 questions about that:
1. Any CYA that was in there last fall, will that still be in the water that was left behind by draining?
2. The trichlor went in on Sunday. Today is Tuesday, so that CYA won't register yet, will it?
#1 - it may or not be there.

#2 maybe again

Like Jason said, we need numbers

@tim5055 - The algae was on stairs and the skimmer basket. Both were above water and treated with bleach before I started filling. If you see in my regular post, I have 2 straight days of FC readings at 33-34 with CC of 0.5. I'm above SLAM levels as it is. Trying to get my FC down at this point

- - - Updated - - -

Doing a CYA test now

So you are a little high on the FC, up around mustard shock level (which you do not want to do for extended periods of time) ... you should let it drop and keep it at 24ppm for the SLAM.

And next time always test before you add anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But do I really need to continue a SLAM? The only algae present was above water. The water has been clear throughout the process. I have had 2 consecutive days of CC of 0.5. All I would need to do is measure FC at sundown tonight, then again in the morning. If I pass the OCLT, I am good to drift back down. Right?

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Those are the three items that should be met......if you do (and it appears so) you have no reason to SLAM.

Yeah. The OCLT is the only thing I have not tested, which I can do tonight

- - - Updated - - -

If the Algae isn't below the water with SLAM levels, it won't help in killing the Algae.

The algae was above water level. I treated it with straight bleach as I started filling. I think that's buried somewhere in that monstrous block of text I started with. If not, I apologize for any confusion

Looks good. If you pass the OCLT, then let the FC come back down to appropriate levels. Stop all sources of chlorine and test every couple of days until the FC drops. If your CYA is 60, don't let anyone in the pool until your FC is below 24.

Yes, +1 To what the Buzzard says. :goodjob:

Looking good, and no damage to liner it doesn't appear. I don't know what it takes to actually fade one, but based on my experience with AG's its an enormous amount. Let this be an example to anyone who says bleach ruins vinyl. Cya absolutely comes into play, don't forget...

Now, just let it fall and do another OCLT if you are curious. This should be done.

I didn't take the second part of the OCLT this morning. We got a big storm overnight and by eyeballing it, it looks like I picked up about an inch of new water in the pool. Am I correct in assuming that this would likely have skewed my OCLT results by blending the un-chlorinated rain water in with the pool water?

I plan to try another OCLT tonight.

An inch of water in the pool is not much significance on the chemistry. If there were any contaminants in the rain, it might burn a slight bit of chlorine.

Yeah, just do the test tonight when there are no variables like rain. You can be more confident in the results then.

An inch of water in the pool is not much significance on the chemistry. If there were any contaminants in the rain, it might burn a slight bit of chlorine.
Yeah, just do the test tonight when there are no variables like rain. You can be more confident in the results then.

+1 again :goodjob:

Usually, an inch of rain = no more than 2% change in the chemistry. Much less in bigger pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.