Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure wash paint off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure wash paint off?

Hello:

I am getting ready to get the pool going again after letting it go over the past 6 months due to various issues. I have drained the water and am cleaning out the debris now. I noticed that there are paint flakes coming off the plaster surface. In some places, there are large flakes and bubbles of the paint and there are also paint roller marks that are ugly. Since most people here advise against painting the pool surface, I wanted to know if I can pressure wash the paint off the surface and turn it white. If that does not work, how about applying some paint stripper?

Thanks!
    ~30,000 gallons, in-ground, plaster, Hayward Pro Grid DE4820, StaRite MPRA6F 1.5HP single speed, ancient (30+ yrs old), TF-100 XL test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure wash paint off?

You can try the power wash. The best solution would be to have it sand blasted off or even have all the old plaster chipped out and the get some fresh plaster.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If your pressure washer has adjustable pressure, I would start at a lower pressure (maybe 1000psi), and go up from there. The idea is to use just enough pressure to take the paint off, but not cut into the plaster.
    1982 built 15K? gallon IG gunite/plaster, DE filter, Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump, Polaris 280, Pentair LA01N booster pump, 3-8' with diving board, K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I have an electric pressure washer which I am not even sure will hit the 1000 psi mark. I will post some pictures that show the peeling paint as soon as I can. I don't think the previous owner did any acid washes since I don't see any signs of pitting or rough plaster. Will doing an acid wash make it easier to pressure wash the paint off?
    ~30,000 gallons, in-ground, plaster, Hayward Pro Grid DE4820, StaRite MPRA6F 1.5HP single speed, ancient (30+ yrs old), TF-100 XL test kit.