Depth Help - if you could do it again - what would you choose?

I think another bench under the left or middle waterfall of the weeping wall would be good. I like the hot tub spillover onto the sunshelf. Cool idea.

It would be cool to have a bench by the weeping wall - I was thinking the rocks would stick out and make it not very comfortable . . . but it would be cool to hang out under the running water . . .

I don't think a 5.5 depth makes any sense at all. It is too deep for anyone to stand in, unless they are taller than 6'6" and provides nothing over a 5 ft depth. My pool is a play pool 3.5-5-4. If I had it to do again, I might make it 4-5-4. Few people seem to hang out in the 3.5 end. Little kids stay on the sun shelf, adults are usually in the 4 or 5 ft area.

Chief - my original reason for 5.5 was for an area for kids to cannonball into. My gf has a pool (with a true deep end) - and a slide - the slide goes into 5'6" of water. She said that is where all the kids jump into the pool and they don't ever hit bottom - so I figured I would go to that depth so in the rare case I have kiddos in my pool they could cannonball. But the consensus on here seems to be you will hit bottom unless you have 7' deep. I am really thinking we want a Sports-type pool - so now I'm not sure. I def want it to have different depths . . . my confusion continues.

I for one think you should put a yard stick next to you. 3' is the height of my pool where the water line is.
that is at the skimmer the top of the pool is 3.5 feet and that is when the water is at the top of the
useable skimmer on the side wall. I think of it as a kiddie pool.

I am a swimmer, like to get in and do laps. the shallow end is way to shallow to even think of doing a flip turn.
while swimming my kick hits the bottom. flipping, there is no room to do one. your kids will not be small for ever.
8+ on my deep end is good for jumping in.

the yard stick shows you where the water is when it is full, it will be 4" lower when it evaporates.
lower that and anybody taller than 6' will laugh at the shallow depth. it will be nearer his/her knees.

Regarding sun shelf and benches. I have a 7x8 shelf and one bench, both with a water depth of 18 inches. The shelf accommodates two recliners perfectly with water comming to the seating level, and my bench runs the entire length of the pool. Those are two features that we would never change.

one more thing of the deep end. my companion had her grandson visit, 17 year old.
he was showing off by diving through a round float like inner tube. he did come close
to hitting the bottom of the 8'+ pool. at 5.5 feet it might be a broken neck.

one more thing of the deep end. my companion had her grandson visit, 17 year old.
he was showing off by diving through a round float like inner tube. he did come close
to hitting the bottom of the 8'+ pool. at 5.5 feet it might be a broken neck.

If anyone "dives" in my pool they will never be invited to my home again. I mean - some people are idiots - so I have to make rules . . . Ive had an AGP for 3 years and have strict rules - luckily no one has pushed the limit - even the kiddos - they know I am dead serious.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding sun shelf and benches. I have a 7x8 shelf and one bench, both with a water depth of 18 inches. The shelf accommodates two recliners perfectly with water comming to the seating level, and my bench runs the entire length of the pool. Those are two features that we would never change.

Do your bubblers come up out of the water like normal - with 18"?

- - - Updated - - -

I for one think you should put a yard stick next to you. 3' is the height of my pool where the water line is.
that is at the skimmer the top of the pool is 3.5 feet and that is when the water is at the top of the
useable skimmer on the side wall. I think of it as a kiddie pool.

I am a swimmer, like to get in and do laps. the shallow end is way to shallow to even think of doing a flip turn.
while swimming my kick hits the bottom. flipping, there is no room to do one. your kids will not be small for ever.
8+ on my deep end is good for jumping in.

the yard stick shows you where the water is when it is full, it will be 4" lower when it evaporates.
lower that and anybody taller than 6' will laugh at the shallow depth. it will be nearer his/her knees.

This is wonderful advice. I am going to do this today!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not trying to talk you out of a shallower pool if that suits your preference. It's yours to enjoy...and police!

BUT I will say that some year many years from now, you may have an event, a senior grad party, a college graduation, a family picnic with young adults or teens swimming while you are AWAY where you WILL NOT be able to control whether another human tries to dive in your pool or not. Or whether a TALL grown up young adult cannonballs with vigor.

So it makes sense to me to either make your depth reasonably forgiving or heavily post depth and no-dive signage ;) Sometimes "control" comes through "design" -- as opposed to situational, temporal control.

I say this as someone with a diving board and a nine foot diving well...with a bias of loving to dive, of course. I see a pool and I think immediately about diving in. I realize we have different tastes and objectives, but I wanted to give you another angle to consider when making your decision because I want you to enjoy your pool when your GRANDCHILDREN visit ;)

I'm not trying to talk you out of a shallower pool if that suits your preference. It's yours to enjoy...and police!

BUT I will say that some year many years from now, you may have an event, a senior grad party, a college graduation, a family picnic with young adults or teens swimming while you are AWAY where you WILL NOT be able to control whether another human tries to dive in your pool or not. Or whether a TALL grown up young adult cannonballs with vigor.

So it makes sense to me to either make your depth reasonably forgiving or heavily post depth and no-dive signage ;) Sometimes "control" comes through "design" -- as opposed to situational, temporal control.

I say this as someone with a diving board and a nine foot diving well...with a bias of loving to dive, of course. I see a pool and I think immediately about diving in. I realize we have different tastes and objectives, but I wanted to give you another angle to consider when making your decision because I want you to enjoy your pool when your GRANDCHILDREN visit ;)

Aww - as much as I wish we could have had kids - we couldn't - so kids are not in the plan for the pool. Since I am hearing that you can't cannonball into a pool without hitting bottom in less than 8' (since 7' is hitting bottom) - and I have no desire to have a deep end of a pool - I guess I will have to go with a sign ;)

I have had to deal with kids and drunk adults (not even young) - lol - so I get that people do stupid stuff - you wouldn't believe the stuff ADULTS think is ok in and ABOVE GROUND POOL! But for sure a pool with a true deep end - is no where on my radar - but I could make one extremely cute sign that says you jump in and I will cut you. ;)

So now I just need to determine what the depth in the center and ends will be! I still need to get the measuring stick out.

16390979114_31fe69d505_o.jpg
[/url]Cannonball by misplaced_texan_usaf, on Flickr[/IMG]

I had wanted this sign . . . but I am going to see what else I can find!

Sunbaby, I now like your odds much better for a shallower depth being problem-free ;) Forgive my assumption that the cannon-balling-kids comment meant they were yours ;) I find visiting nieces and nephews much easier to control that the possee of young adults that regularly seem to collect around here come summer!

The sign is adorable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.